Help please! 360 just died

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Rottie, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rottie

Rottie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi all, :hiya:

I just tried turning the 360 on to have a quick game of NFS:MW and first off, I got all 4 segments of the circle in red flashing. :eek: :eek:

I took the video connector out of the back of the 360, checked all the component plugs were seated firmly on my TV, then reconnected everything, but when I tried powering the 360 up again, I got the 360 logo, but it froze and became very pixelated (kind of a "chequerboard" effect) and now when I power it up, only the centre part of the circular switch illuminates - No video, no audio. Nada. :mad:

Thing is, I bought my 360 back in Dec/Jan, but I can't find the reciept anywhere (was looking for it the other night). Will M$ still talk to me without a proof of purchase?

Edit: I just tried the same procedure as above, but this time, using a clean cloth to wipe the 360's connector, then re-started the console. It powered up ok this time and loaded NFS:MW, but about 5s into the intro scene, the screen pixelated on me again. I did another reboot and got 3 segments of the ROL in red (1,2&4), which according to the 360 support page here is a hardware fault. (tell me something I don't know, M$!! :mad: :mad: ) Suffice to say, I'll be calling them first thing in the morning, screaming and shouting for a replacement unit ASAP.
    Edit2: I just did a little more research on the web and followed the instructions here, which helped me identify the ROL code as 0102, which is an "unknown error".

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
  3. Brutos

Brutos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    All you need is proof of purchase (credit card statement, bank statement) then take it back from where you bought it, it's only a few months old so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you go down the Microsoft route you don't need proof of purchase as long as it hasn't been registered with Microsoft before, which i assume you bought it new so it wouldn't be problem.

4. Rottie

Rottie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    OK.. UPDATE: I did a little bit of digging and finally (after about 1 1/2 hrs of looking) managed to dig out the receipt. Purchase date was 28/12/06 and Manufacture date is 04/10/06.

I am going to ring M$ first thing in the morning and go through their fault-finding procedure and get a case ID, so that way (fingers and all other bits crossed) PCW won't have a leg to stand on, by claiming they won't accept returns without RMAs/Case IDs (I had them pull this one time with a Linksys router I got about 3 years ago).

Does anyone please have a link to the relevant sections of the SOGA that I can print off and shove under the Manager's nose, in case he tries claiming the "It's not our policy to replace after 28 days" gem?

Many thanks.

5. Rottie

Rottie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yep I will do that and get a Case ID too, so PCW can't fob me off. Thanks for the link to that thread. Certainly makes interesting reading. :eek:

6. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    If you bought it from a high street retailer you'd be better off taking it back to them...

I returned a 360 to Game after around 4 months and they swapped it without any fuss. Worth a try as you will not get a re-furb unit this way and it's much quicker.

7. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I had exactly the same crashes as you in the same game last January (06)

Dont take it back to the retailer. Call Microsoft up, they should supply you with a box and sent it back to them. Theres a good chance you can get a more recent new 360 that runs a lot quieter.

8. bubs999

bubs999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +634
    Same as what I did, they didn't even bother checking it was actually faulty.

I wouldn't bother with MS as they will more than likely just repair that one and send it back, where as the store will give you a new one in the box today (no waiting)

9. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yep thats the way mine went before it fully died and wouldn't switch on.
    3 red lights all the time.

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,868
    Or there is a good chance you will get a refurb back and the lifespan of them isnt that good.

Much better to take it back to where you bought it as they will swap it over for a brand new console, no chance of a refurb that way and it will all be done within minutes instead of days/weeks.

11. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I thought about that, but if the shop you got it from has loads of 360s youre likely to get a machine thats a few months old anyway.

When I had my crash with exactly the same freezes as in the OP's screenshots, I was given a new 360 that was a week or so old.

12. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    if its faulty take it back with the receipt and get a refund if you think you might get another dodgy one it is your right under the SOGA for a refund i would also get the number from MS just to save any to-ing and fro-ing.

it is best to go in on a saturday when it is busy

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    If there's anything not covered in the FAQ, please let me know in the FAQ discussion thread. Cheers :smashin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.