Help please – which Dyson?

Flashy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been decided that we need a new vacuum cleaner, and it's been decided that we're having a Dyson. The decision has been taken and I don't have the energy to debate with her, so taking the line of least resistance. But the question is, which Dyson?

We want an upright. We don't have pets and do have carpet and wood floors in our modest semi – I think that means we want a Multi Floor model rather than an Animal. But that's all I can work out.

Initially thought the DC50 was the one, but I've found some reviews saying it feels cheap for the price and that the suction's not as good as other models.

So, on to the DC40, but there were mixed reviews again and something about a certain part which some said was prone to failing, think it was to do with the bin release. And it's more pricey.

Then turned to the DC25, but she said she would prefer a newer one and preferred the look of the ball on the other two models. But, then, it is less expensive.

So, it's between those three models, and I'm stumped. Never had a Dyson and coming from a £70 cleaner that's not really been any good for the five years we've had it. Anyone got one of those models and could offer advice, pros and cons, or generally point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy the Miele or Sebo version.....:censored:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Yesssss, another Vacuum cleaner thread. Another chance to tell people about my 20 year old Henry. I now have Pics Too.

This thread has made my evening.

Yesssss, another Vacuum cleaner thread. Another chance to tell people about my 20 year old Henry. I now have Pics Too.

This thread has made my evening.
To celebrate 150 years of the shop the are now selling John and lewis too.

We are looking to get a new dyson, been told we are getting the cylinder type though. I'd go and have a look in the shop, main factor in the decision for us is getting a big bin so we don't have to empty it

Give.........me...............strength

Buy the Miele or Sebo version.....:censored:

Sorry couldn't resist.
On the plus side, I'd have been disappointed if someone hadn't replied with that answer. Glad it was the first reply. Only negative is that that's exactly what my mum said. :)

I'd get a Sebo if it were up to me, but...

To celebrate 150 years of the shop the are now selling John and lewis too.

We are looking to get a new dyson, been told we are getting the cylinder type though. I'd go and have a look in the shop, main factor in the decision for us is getting a big bin so we don't have to empty it
Thanks. Looked earlier but still none the wiser. Bin size is an issue here, too, and think that's ruled out the DC50.

Oh, and Wahreo, thanks for your unbridled support and help. :)

I have done. It's fallen on deaf ears. A wise man once told me to pick my battles wisely, and this isn't one worth fighting.

We got the DC24 about 3 years ago and it's great. Upright with ball. Bit smaller than others in the range but works lovely.

Bang the dust out the filters in the garden every few months and then rinse the filters.

Buy in the next few days and you can trade in your old vacuum for £100 off at all shops I think.

I know you want an upright but I bought the dc39 animal from John lewis a couple of months back. First time I hoovered my whole flat with it I could have been sick. The dust these things suck up is crazy. You think your carpets are quite clean till you run a dyson over them.

You think your carpets are quite clean till you run a dyson over them.

I kid you not, this line was used by Dixon's staff when I enquired. My 2 current Dysons are in the garage collecting dust, but not in the way they were designed for. I could probably get them serviced but stumped up for a Miele S71 and won't go back tbh.

I kid you not, this line was used by Dixon's staff when I enquired. My 2 current Dysons are in the garage collecting dust, but not in the way they were designed for. I could probably get them serviced but stumped up for a Miele S71 and won't go back tbh.

Haha I'm no dyson salesman. It's the first one I have owned. I have used a few of the upright ones though and think there awkward and clumsy. I'm sure there is a lot of brands that have equal or better results than dyson aswell. Maybe the fact the dirt is visible rather than hidden in a bag makes you feel different.

Dysons make no sense, all hepa this and hepa that, then you open the trapdoor over a bin and the dust goes all over the place, so very confusing....

I know you want an upright but I bought the dc39 animal from John lewis a couple of months back. First time I hoovered my whole flat with it I could have been sick. The dust these things suck up is crazy. You think your carpets are quite clean till you run a dyson over them.
That is the one we were looking at, toyed with spending the extra and getting the new cinetic one that doesn't even use filters.

That is the one we were looking at, toyed with spending the extra and getting the new cinetic one that doesn't even use filters.

we paid £230 from John Lewis using an £80 trade in offer that Dyson were running. Argos were selling the same Hoover for £360 at the same time. Really can't recommend this Hoover enough. The dust bin is meant to be 2lts but it only takes a few seconds to empty either way. We also a received the extra toolkit in the box which is really good.

we paid £230 from John Lewis using an £80 trade in offer that Dyson were running. Argos were selling the same Hoover for £360 at the same time. Really can't recommend this Hoover enough. The dust bin is meant to be 2lts but it only takes a few seconds to empty either way. We also a received the extra toolkit in the box which is really good.
I think we were getting it from tesco, trade in offer is on at the moment and there's a £20 off anything on direct voucher kicking about. Means we can also dump our dead one at their customer service desk

Please be aware of the dangers of vacuums.

Have to agree with getting a Miele. Dyson marketing has obviously worked on your wife unfortunately and it will be to your detriment. I believe it has been years of emptying bag less hovers that developed my hay fever which I never had before. Stick with a bag for health reasons.

Am I the only one that empties a dyson by wrapping a carrier bag around the dust bin before opening it then binning the bag? Reduces the dust blowing itself back up out of the normal bin.

Also we found that air dusters are great for cleaning out the cyclones.

I still GI with the you thought your floor was clean thing, my parents got one years ago and it got up much more than their old cleaner, leant it to other family members and they all said the same.

Have to agree with getting a Miele. Dyson marketing has obviously worked on your wife unfortunately and it will be to your detriment. I believe it has been years of emptying bag less hovers that developed my hay fever which I never had before. Stick with a bag for health reasons.
The marketing has worked, and she admits that. But, to be fair, what's also worked are many recommendations for the Dyson from friends and family. And, in fact, my mother's now admitted she prefers her Dyson to her Sebo.

Am I the only one that empties a dyson by wrapping a carrier bag around the dust bin before opening it then binning the bag? Reduces the dust blowing itself back up out of the normal bin.
It wouldn't have occurred to me to do it any other way than the one you describe. :)

So, all talk of Miele and Sebo aside (because they're not options), can anyone recommend one over the other two out of the DC50, DC40 or DC25?

I went for the DC41 Animal a few months ago and I'm very happy with the choice. The only difference between the Animal and non-Animal is the "tangle free turbine tool".

The DC25 was ruled out because of the foot operated pedal that was used to release the handle. The DC40 was much better and easier to use but I decided to go with the DC41 as it had more air watts, larger bin capacity and longer power lead for just a tenner extra.

Regarding the current trade in offer, in my case I was better off waiting until the last one had ended. The DC41 Animal was on offer for £319 after trade in but I didn't fancy losing my old DC4 wanting to keep it for upstairs so decided to wait and see what offers were on afterwards. The day after the trade in finished Tesco had the DC41 Animal on offer for £309. A found online £10 Tesco Direct voucher plus £2 in clubcard points (I don't use Tesco much!) meant I got the vacuum cleaner for £297 saving £22 on the Currys/Dyson Direct trade in price and kept my old DC4 too.

Precisely what we do.
Surprised anyone just opens the cylinder into a bin, to be honest.

Wish I could have done that but I found the hairs from my dog blocked the canister half way up and I would have to pull the rubbish out. Mine was the DC15 animal.
Hopefully they have more space on the inside between the cyclone and the shell now.

My wife is a hairdresser, often using our house for clients.
So I know all about hair in a Dyson.
It's not an issue in the DC07 or the DC25 we have.
Most of the time, a good shake has it all coming out.
Occasionally I have to unclip the actual clear plastic drum to allow hair to fall out when it's stuck between the drum and the cyclone.
Never had to pull hair out, I think that would make me bowk.....o_O

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom