Question Help playing 4K, HDR Blu Ray on 1080P SDR PDP, and should I even bother?

SebastianAltena

So I have Sony X800 UHD Blu Ray player that's connected to Panasonic G30 plasma tv (measurements attached), I use it to watch standard 1080P Blurays. My friend recently gave me a few HDR discs; When I try to play one of them, an "HDR conversion" option appears with settings from 1(Narrow) to 5(Wide), higher the number, darker the image, on what should I set it (3 is default)? And should I even bother, I remember reading somewhere that HDR blurays look worse on SDR display than SDR blurays, is that true?

Attachments

Emc86

So I have Sony X800 UHD Blu Ray player that's connected to Panasonic G30 plasma tv (measurements attached), I use it to watch standard 1080P Blurays. My friend recently gave me a few HDR discs; When I try to play one of them, an "HDR conversion" option appears with settings from 1(Narrow) to 5(Wide), higher the number, darker the image, on what should I set it (3 is default)? And should I even bother, I remember reading somewhere that HDR blurays look worse on SDR display than SDR blurays, is that true?
Better to watch movies on a cellphone or ipad pro or something or laptop

SebastianAltena

Better to watch movies on a cellphone or ipad pro or something or laptop
Is that supposed to be a joke? I don't get it.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'on what should I set it (3 is default)? And should I even bother' - whichever setting looks best to you!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom