Help! Plasma TV- cost of new power supply unit?

I

Ian99

After two years excellent service my Panasonic viera plasma has gone. Engineer (from official panasonic service centre) has taken away but has initially diagnosed a failed power supply unit. Quote has yet to arrive but he was talking about £250 for a new unit PLUS the labour to fit and repair.

Help! Its not a good time for this as I would rather be spending the cash on a one month old baby and all that entails. Is this a reasonable amount for such a unit or are the service centre charging a huge mark-up? If the latter, is there anything I can do?

Grateful for any thoughts/suggestions, as will be my son who quite likes the tv but really would prefer a new cot with the money.

steveho

Two years and the power supply has given up is frankly not good enough - i would be getting in touch with panasonic customer care and asking them to foot the bill-quoting the sales of goods act as required

pjclark1

Novice Member
Small claims court ...... not suitable for the purpose sold ...... should do the trick.
(name the shop that sold it to you)

I

Ian99

Have now heard back from the service centre - £450 for the repair!!!

I'm flabbergasted this is like a huge amount to me right now. I have emailed Panasonic requesting help but not heard anything back from them.

It will even cost me over £100 to get the tv delivered back to me unrepaired.

Don't really know what to do - retailer was an online supplier (digitaldirect) not optimistic that they will be helpful without me putting on the pressure for months.

Anybody got any other ideas?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

Your contract is with the retailer you bought it from, not with Panasonic. I'd suggest speaking to them.

It is not unreasonable to expect such an expensive purchase to last more than two years. The 'Sale of Goods Act' requires that items should have 'reasonable durability'

Regards,

Steve

compo

Standard Member
a bit off topic but it may help

have you any idea of the amount of hours on your set i ask this because the manufacturers may be shooting them selfs in the foot by quoting a 60000 hour panel life.
you could argue that they are saying a panel should last this long without fault.

the manufacturer could check the hours to see it has hardley been used after all they are always trumpeting plasma durability.

dickst3

Novice Member
I agree, for it to break down after two years is unreasonable, especial since it is also a "brand".

Contact the retailer first and your credit card company - you paid by credit card, right?

I

Ian99

Thanks for all the advice guys - the Sale of Goods act stuff backed up what I had got from a friend at the Consumer Association.

Got in touch with the retailer. This is their response:

"We cannot assist you."

"That fact that the product has developed a fault is inconvenient, however it is not uncommon. In accordance with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 paragraph 48a.3 does not apply and therefore you cannot claim that the goods are inherently faulty under section 48a.1b

With the above paragraph being true, section 48b of the Sale of Goods Act cannot be claimed for repair unless section 48A.4a applies, in which case it is your responsibility to provide conclusive evidence to support your claim under section 48A.4a, not Digital Direct."

Wow, helpful or what. What next? Small claims court I guess...

dickst3

Novice Member
"Its not uncommon"!!! within two years? I doubt that. And anyway its still not reasonable for a branded product.

I would get a solicitor to write to them (£25) warning of impending legal action and then go the small claims route (you have nothing to lose).

Hopefully you paid by credit card and they should be contacted also.

Good luck, and keep us informed !!

pjclark1

Novice Member
So you think they should waste £25 on a letter, when small claims is about the same amount.
Also the power supply failures in Panasonic plasmas is a well known design fault.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

I think that the regularity with which the power supplies failed in the early PWD6's (I had one, and I'm sure many on here did) is satisfactory evidence of an inherent fault:-

The "fault" may not become apparent immediately but it was there at the time of sale and so the product was not of satisfactory standard.
In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty)
This is the point which they are using as a get-out clause. I'm sure you can come up with enough evidence that the PSU fault is common and well known.

and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years)
Well, Panasonic quote 60,000 hours as the half life of the panel. That means even if you had the set on 24 hours a day, you would still expect it to be working fine nearly seven years on. I doubt you have done anything close to 60,000 hours so you've got evidence there.

Steve

Gussie

The honest truth is that you wll not get anywhere - you bought the set knowing you got a 12 Month warranty and that is the end of it - no matter if it's a branded or no-name product.

You'll be wasting you energy and money trying to sort this.

This is why it's foolish not buying from retailers like JL who give a free 5 year warranty.

Do not believe the retailer posts in this forum telling you that plasmas are reliable!

There have been instances where PSU failures on Panasonic Business panels have been repaired out of warranty for free or under reduced fees - but that is Panasonic Business NOT Panasonic Consumer which operates under ruthless consumer retailing conditions and there will be no scope for any gestures.

I'm afraid you've learned a harsh lesson - next time think about buying from a retailer that provides an extended warranty.

Gussie

weedongle

Standard Member
Gussie said:
The honest truth is that you wll not get anywhere - you bought the set knowing you got a 12 Month warranty and that is the end of it - no matter if it's a branded or no-name product.

You'll be wasting you energy and money trying to sort this.

This is why it's foolish not buying from retailers like JL who give a free 5 year warranty.

Do not believe the retailer posts in this forum telling you that plasmas are reliable!

There have been instances where PSU failures on Panasonic Business panels have been repaired out of warranty for free or under reduced fees - but that is Panasonic Business NOT Panasonic Consumer which operates under ruthless consumer retailing conditions and there will be no scope for any gestures.

I'm afraid you've learned a harsh lesson - next time think about buying from a retailer that provides an extended warranty.

Gussie
I see where you are coming from Guissie but both our consumer laws and those of the EU are quite specific in regard to quality/durability.
It all depends which is the best way of doing this.
The original contract was with the retailer not the manufacturer and that’s the person/company to take issue with. A one year warranty does not negate consumer rights under the current legislation.
£100 delivery and £450 repair costs are in my opinion grossly excessive.
For the £450 it would seem that they are replacing the whole of the panels printed circuitry. (If this is the case did the panel catch fire? Is there a case for an insurance claim?)
Ian needs to get his case fully researched and ready for court if required, the more information he can bring to bear the more likely for a good out come. If he does not prepare properly then he may lose out.

hornydragon

What model is it? Panasonic 6 series based screens PA20 veira have a known PSU issue get on to panasonic and moan lots and lots also the repairer is trying to stiff you 3 years ago a PSU replacement was £150 from Baronn Mcann (Panasonic subcontract partner at the time) its a 20 minute job to swap a PSU board and any monkey with a screw driver can do it

dickst3

Novice Member
pjclark1 said:
So you think they should waste £25 on a letter, when small claims is about the same amount.
Also the power supply failures in Panasonic plasmas is a well known design fault.
Personally I think it would be worth trying a solicitor's letter.

If it is a "well known design fault" then that strengthens the claim.

Its all jmho of course.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom