Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help PJ convergance Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonb, Mar 12, 2003.

1. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I've just brought a sanyo PLV-20 from e-bay and when it arrived yesterday morning there seems to be blue ghosting 3/4 degrees underneath the main picture. It also seems a bit fuzzy and needs an optical clean as there seems to be some kind of muck build up on the lamp. I tried running it in for a good 8hrs yesterday to see if it improved but no joy. I tested it with a DVD player cable box,ps2 and vcr all with the same result. I also tried several different cables all with the same result. The box when it arrived had a huge hole in the side as well. I thought that maybe the blue LCD panel has come out of allignment, it's similar to when a rear pro tv is out of convergance. Is there a way in the menu to correct this? Also how much would an optical clean be and where would be the best place to take it around cambridge / london area. Also is anyone able to do this and I'll pay them a few quid. Any suggestions as to what I should do it was insured with amtrack or should I just get my money back from the vendour?:confused:

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK there is no way to optically correct the convergence of the projector on a menu. This is not like a CRT - you will need to get it serviced at the factory.

How much did you pay if I may ask? Don't forget you can get your hands on a new Panasonic AE100 for only £799....

I would imagine that you are likely to pay a reasonable chunk for servicing and cleaning and you don't want to try it yourself unless you really only paid £40 for it or something.

If you want to clean it yourself, I personally would use a photographic air blower or vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust from the unit. For heavy contamination, you could take parts off and clean using an alcohol spray. You can get alcohol sprays from maplin - intended to clean inside tape transports etc and this leaves no residue. I have used this type of spray to clean the inside of CD player transports quite successfully. Just make sure you dry it all out for a long time afterwards!

John

3. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John,

Well I paid £300.00 for it inc mount and new bulb. I've spoken to the guy whom I brought it from and he has agreed to either give me a complete refund or pay for it to be serviced and fixed by sanyo and claim back from amtrack. I did take the cover off it yesterday to have a look but to be honest I have no Idea as to what to do. I thought that it might have been a relatively simple task to take the lense out to get to the lamp and clean it from there, but I know how these things start with me and usually end up in the bin!. I have another projector that has no bulb but can be used for spares (same model). I just not too sure as too what to do. I'd like a panny but the misses has put her foot down and I can't afford/allowed to spend any more. Do I get my money back or do I get it all up and running fully serviced at no expense to me. When working it's quite a good picture as I've seen one before. Any thoughts?