1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! pixels ruining my life

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simon garrett, Dec 17, 2002.

1. simon garrett

simon garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony widescreen non-digital TV which is plugged into a sky box, VHS and DVD players. When a large area of one colour appears on the screen it has a tendency to come over all pixelly. It has been suggested to me there may be some kind of sub-menu thingy which I can access to relieve this. Anyone know how I do this? I would be most grateful.

Simon Garrett:confused:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Do you mean that if there is a large expanse of one colour with differing shades, instead of there being a smooth transition between, say dark to light blue, the transition is 'stepped' in blocks of noticably different shades of blue?
    If so then I think this is a symptom of the compression within the $ky signal.
    This might be better placed in the Satellite forum if this is the case.
    Am I on the right track anybody?

3. simon garrett

simon garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Stuart,

Absolutely, that sounds right. The best examples I can give are when there is eg a lot of green, like a football pitch, or a lot of grey in day for night scenes in films.

I will follow your advice and post my query on the satellite site. Thanks very much for the tip

simon garrett

4. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too; just moved from a sony 21" to a KV28LS60 widescreen and very disappointed to see how SKY performs on a 100Hz set. If only I could set it back to 50Hz to deal with SKYs shortcomings...