1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP pioneer dv525 multi-region?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete Delaney, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About a year ago I bought a Pioneer 525 from Hyperfi, it was claimed to be multi-region, which is what I wanted for max flexibility. However, having tried a region 1 disk for the first time this morning all I get is a map of the worlds dvd regions and a message saying the disc is not playable.
    So was I lied to??? Or is there a hack on the remote control I should know about. I have checked the setup menu and there does not seem anything relevant there.
    Please help if you can...
    Regards
    Pete

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I'm not sure about your particular model. However, the following may be of help:

Some (all?) Pioneer multiregion modifications are both auto and manual selection. The way it works is, your DVD player is set to a given region (say, R2) but will usually play discs from other regions. However some discs (notably R1 MGM titles) use something called "branching" to make them unplayable on R2 multiregion machines.

What you need to do is change your machine to R1 multiregion.

You should have been supplied with instructions as to how to do this with your machine. Once set to R1 multiregion, it will probably play everything (because they don't use Branching on R2/3/4/5/6 discs).

If you don't have any such instructions (note that the options involved don't appear in the Player menus - you have to KNOW what to do) then I can only suggest you go back to the supplier and ask. Unless anyone else here has a similar player and knows the procedure.

With hindsight, it's a pity you didn't test it out more thoroughly when you bought it - a lesson for others....?

3. Dudemeister

Dudemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 525 and you have to change the region manually like this:
    Via remote go to Setup:
    Then -> General, then move the marker to Setup Menu Mode -> Basic (now you have to be in "basic" mode and have the marker on "Basic").
    Push Display on your remote, you should now see what region its set to.
    Push "Condition Memory" on the remote and then push a nr (1-6) which region you want.
    Then push display again to see if the player has changed to that region. This is how I can do it and Im not sure it will work for you but its worth a shot. [​IMG]
    (btw: I have a friend with a 525, and although the procedure is same for him, his starting position with the marker is having it on "Setup Meny Mode" and not on Basic.)

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Who needs a replay button? History always repeats itself.

4. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mr Dudemeister, you ROCK!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the info the setup worked a treat and I now have 2 little children sat watching region 1 'Thomas and the magic railroad'. That's priceless! To me this is what the WWW is all about...helping each other!
    Thanks again and again and....etc.
    Regards
    Pete.

5. Dudemeister

Dudemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, glad to help [​IMG]