Help Pioneer DV 470 Progressive Scan Output problem

R

rihani

I have been using the Pioneer DV 470 without a problem until recently. Initially the DV 470 was hooked up with an SCART to my old tele. I recently purchased the Thomson 27LCDB03B and decided to try the progressive scan output of the DV 470. The Thomson takes progressive scan through a DSub to component adapter, and the picture quality is SUPERB. The problem is that all DVDs do not play through progressive scan. They play alright through SVideo/RCA, but will not play through the Progressive Scan. The movies that will not play through Progressive Scan include Star Wars, Matrix, Top Gun, etc.. I hope someone on this forum can help me solve my problem. Thx..

You're not alone!!!

I'm having the same problem with a pioneer 575a (I've also tried a toshiba sd 340 and got same results - interlaced component video works fine though).

I've purchased a better component to d-sub cable than the one which comes with the tv - whilst the picture improves on discs that will play via progressive scan the overall problem remains. :(

I'm experimenting with some d-sub to dvi cables at the moment to see if this works.

Failing this I plan to contact Thomson customer service for advice.

I'll let you know of any outcomes / progress.

Andy

Have contacted Thomson customer services - they claim set is faulty - tv has been returned to retailer for refund and new plasma bought from those nice people at richer sounds :thumbsup:

I can, therefore, only presume that your lcd may be faulty in the same way mine has been deemed to be.

I would suggest contacting Thomson and / or retailer about the problem.

Good luck

Andy

My new Thomson LCDB03B is behaving the same. I can't play ANY DVDs throught the supplied d-sub to component cable, using a Pioneer DV-575A. They can't all be faulty - any ideas? Has anyone with a Thomson managed to get it to work? Cheers

sven7278 said:
My new Thomson LCDB03B is behaving the same. I can't play ANY DVDs throught the supplied d-sub to component cable, using a Pioneer DV-575A. They can't all be faulty - any ideas? Has anyone with a Thomson managed to get it to work? Cheers

Well I've used a number od prog scan DVD players with my LCD27 from Thomson through the provided cable and never had a problem. I've not used a Pio 575 though. It seems that the Pioneer player is the common factor here. I currently use a Samsung HD745 connected to the DVI input and the results are stunning. It might be time to try another player before you dump the TV.

Patrick

I tried a Toshiba sd-340e as well as a pioneer 575a. Same result both times.

I'm not sure if these two models (and the pio dv 470) use similar internal electronics to produce a progressive signal?

If so this could be a suffivient reason to explain the discrepancy between players or, as Thomson suggested in my case, it could be screen (if not the design) which is at fault.

Thomson tech support told me that it was a problem with the screen as well. I have sent the screen back and am waiting for a replacement. Will post the performance of the new screen.

One more thing.
The problem is limited to discs which are R2, PAL, and Macrovision. (I think..) All my R1 discs work alright, as do the R2 discs which do not mention any kind of copy protection.

Any thoughts??

rihani said:
One more thing.
The problem is limited to discs which are R2, PAL, and Macrovision. (I think..) All my R1 discs work alright, as do the R2 discs which do not mention any kind of copy protection.

Any thoughts??
Yes. Wasn't Progressive PAL illegal/prohibited until some time ago?
Some players could be enabled by firmware hacks but they
seldom were that way out of the box.
So, it might be some old logic which didn't get updated when
PS PAL became available.

sven7278 said:

In the DV 470 you need to specify whether the component output carries progressive or interlaced signals. If your components are outputting interlaced then you wont see a thing on your Thomson thru the DSub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom