Help picking diy security camera

Kingkev29

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to install 4 outdoor cameras and have them record motion. It looks like the hikvision brand seems to be popular among these forums but perhaps I could get a more refined answer.

Looking to stay under a grand for budget.
I live in New York so they'll need to hold up to all different temperatures.
I was hoping to put all the cameras under the soffit on my second floor and possibly leave the NVR in the attic. I assume a 1tb HD will do?

I would also like to be able to view it from my smart phone.

Thanks to any help I get!

I have 4x hikvision 2mps cameras through a 4 port powered switch routed to a Synology NAS which is then easily viewable on phone/PC/Ipad etc. I have configured around 1tb of space to recording which tends to give around a week of recorded footage spread across the 4 cams.

The only negative is that motion detection using either the cam software or through Synology surveillance centre both seems pretty sensitive and if I reduce sensitivity then it doesn't record but having done a fair bit of research this seems unfortunately normal for these cameras/software set up so I just live with it.

The whole set up would have been way less that 1k (USD or £) so you should have no issues there

Do you think the 2mps cam have clear enough quality? Also what's the distance on them? And what model type did you get?

Thanks for the response btw!

Crystal clear HD quality on all cameras, off the top of my head I cant remember how many are 4mm/6mm etc. but they offer coverage of the entire front of my house 60ftx40ft and drive and rear garden 60ftx90ft which is clear and can obviously be zoomed in too.

Did you go with bullet or dome? I just YouTube a bit of their cameras and love the quality

And last question, do you guys have any sites or stores you recommend buying at?

Last edited:
Bullet and I think I got them from ebay

I'm looking to install 4 outdoor cameras and have them record motion. It looks like the hikvision brand seems to be popular among these forums but perhaps I could get a more refined answer.

Looking to stay under a grand for budget.
I live in New York so they'll need to hold up to all different temperatures.
I was hoping to put all the cameras under the soffit on my second floor and possibly leave the NVR in the attic. I assume a 1tb HD will do?

I would also like to be able to view it from my smart phone.

Thanks to any help I get!

One thing to keep in mind, the NVR sitting in the attic, in summer time, surely it will get pretty hot in the attic, not the best place to locate the NVR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom