Help picking a PJ - LOL I know

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mintminty59, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mintminty59

mintminty59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there peeps

Well I have been into the CRT scene for years , but with constant breakdowns of fungus on the tubes I think its time to put my Seleco 350+ to the grave yard and invest in a DLP projector
    I am very lost in this field tho as its all totally new to me , so I was hoping If i explained what I want , then people would have a good idea on what I should get. Had a look on ebay and its one mess trying to go through whats what.

a) Its for heavy game use and dvd use - I play FS2004 and so need very high resolution as I have a 512mb ATI SLI graphics card. So hopefully it can accept that weird extra socket thats on there (not standard VGA)

b) Must be under a grand at the MOST for £1000 I expect the dogs ********

c) Hi - Def a possible extra as I am tempted in getting a *tl HD cable unit

d) huge screen where possible ( I have 250 inch on my crt) but the room is pitch black so no external light is a issue

e) Bulbs , now I dont want one thats gonna cost me £200 for a new bulb every 1000 hours cause thats a waste of time (the DEL ones bulbs cost £199 + VAT and shipping lmfao) - one with a very resonable bulb cost if possible , and a good supplier of that bulb

Basically , the reason for large screen is when playing flight sim with graphics on full , photo scenary e.t.c on a 250 inch screen i mean is the balls. BF2 aint bad on that size either lol

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I think you'll be better off getting another CRT unit for the following reasons:-

1/ Blacks are not black on modern DLP/LCD projectors compared to a CRT. You'll be disappointed.
    2/ Bulbs are expensive. For a half decent PJ, expect to pay around 300 - 400 quid a pop. PJ manufacturers say that bulbs should last around 2000 - 3000 hrs for most units but the reality is far different for most folk.

Good luck.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    £200 exc VAT for a bulb is a bargain in this neck of the woods!

If that's an issue then you'd better just accept the fungus. :)

4. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Hitachi PJ-TX200 lamps can be had for a lot less than that. But cyberheater is right, after your CRT you're probably not going to be happy with the black levels.

Go and demo a couple of current DLP/LCD models though, only way to know for sure.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    an alternative view - don't worry about the bulbs, just factor the cost into ownership. Eg if you need a new bulb every 2 years then thats about a tenner a month, or perhaps £500 over the expected lifespan of the machine (couple of bulbs, five years?)

bulb cost is just a fact of life. Avoiding it is like not buying a car because you have to replace the tyres sometimes.

BTW, very jealous of a 250in screen. That must be amazing. I'd be tempted to look at a 1080p PJ with that size.

6. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would give up a vital part of my anatomy for the chance of owning a CRT PJ, but they are too expensive for me. As mentioned already black level is a big issue with DLP and LCD PJ's so i think anything under three grand would be a comedown from what you have already. I would suggest spending the cash on servicing your Seleco. Also to get a 250" screen you would need at least 2000 lumens, and there is nothing i can think of under the 3 grand mark that is as bright as that.

Andy.

7. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    CRTs are not known for their brightness so a 250 inch image must look awfully dim!
    The one advantage a high res digital projector will have over your analogue CRT is its handling of a digital signal (i.e. PC games). But the biggest drawback is the ability to achieve true blacks. The best DLP models do come pretty close, but if you are used to CRT, you may find even the best single chip DLP projectors look a tad grey in very dark scenes.
    As already mentioned though, it is worth auditioning a few models just to see what we mean. You may find the increased brightness of the DLP gives the image more 'snap' even though the black level is not as good and some of the better models which use high quality glass optics can produce very sharp detailed images which may better those of your CRT.
    The biggest problem you face though is finding all this for £1000 or less. If you can stretch to £1500, then you have the choice of many more suitable projectors all with HD 720p resolution, TI Darkchip 3 technology (offers the best current black levels), glass optics and high contrast ratios (in the region of 5000:1 'claimed' CR).
    For £1000 you are looking at 576p resolution (max), Darkchip 2 technology, polymer optics and contrast ratios closer to 2000:1.

If I were you, I'd save up until the end of this year and buy a 1080p model such as the imminent Sony 'Pearl' which should retail for about £3.5k.
    Otherwise, I'm afraid you're stuck with CRT....Old technology, but still the best quality with the possible acception of 3 chip DLP ( but that's another, extremely expensive story!)