• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help picking a car please

Phil Scott

Hi all,

I have decided to sell my 2013 Kia Sportage as I'm not getting on with the lack of feedback through the wheel.

I am also purchasing a motorcycle next month, so I'm looking to pick up something relatively cheap just for my commute to work.

My budget is £4-6k (cheaper the better but willing to spend a bit more if something takes my fancy).

Previously I have had slightly more sporty cars such as Mazda RX8 and hot hatches like the Civic Type-R.

So I'm looking for something nice to drive, that's relatively quick whilst still being somewhat economical (40mpg ish).

I reckon a diesel would fit the bill as having driven a diesel now I would probably miss the turbo, torque and economy when needed.

Looking for suggestions on what is a decent drive, fairly cheap, but most importantly reliable.

I know it's asking a lot but I'm sure there are cars out there that fit the bill, and any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

FZR400RRSP

Banned
What requirements do you have for number of doors/boot/hatch etc?

PS, I went down the cheaper car/new motorbike route late last year.
Not missing newer/bigger/fancier car one little bit.

Phil Scott

Good to know!

I am open minded on that one, no kids to worry about or anything like that so will considwr anything that meets the other criteria I suggested. I have been eyeing up everything from Passats to 3 door Astra SRIs on auto trader.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Higher end of your budget, but an R56 model Mini Cooper diesel with the 1.6 diesel is a great fun car.
Cheap insurance, £20 roadtax and easy 50mpg.
But still 106bhp in a small car, so not slow.
Reliability is good and depreciation is excellent, so you wouldn't lose much on it over time.
You would want the R56 1.6 though, the earlier 1.4 diesel uses a Toyota diesel and it's too slow.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
How long is your commute as I would of said a Swift Sport for your budget. You don't get much more direct steering, not the fastest car in the world but boy do they handle well and change direction like a fly. I'm looking at swapping my gen7 Celica for one as my daily shed.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Shouldn't be scared of a Mini at that mileage, they seem tough as old boots.
Full service history and make sure the DPF fluid (EOLYS fluid) bag has been changed, as it tends to run out around 80-90k.
Mini2 forum is absolutely superb, giving me the confidence to do stuff I wouldn't do myself before.
I've changed bushes and turbo seals on my Mini, thanks to their incredibly easy guides.
I'm gutted to be selling my Mini, but I have to concede 2 doors is no good for kids.
I may just get a Mini Clubman instead, I enjoy Minis so much.
Real grin factor cars, from the quirky interior to the handling.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
A Golf GTTDi or BMW 320D should fit the bill nicely.
I have the former, and looking to change to the latter when funds permit.
Plenty of space, lots of gadgets, pretty swift and decent handling. The BMW being more swift and better handling than the Golf, but more money.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
My thoughts are that you'd have to drive very gently to get into the 40s mpg in that.
I struggled to get into low 40s in my 2.0tdi A3 with 140bhp, never mind 170bhp.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
My thoughts are that you'd have to drive very gently to get into the 40s mpg in that.
I struggled to get into low 40s in my 2.0tdi A3 with 140bhp, never mind 170bhp.
People on here have regularly reported Audi's receive low MPG, so maybe it is just an Audi thing?

In my Golf I rarely see the average MPG below 50, and an on a long run sticking to the speed limit, the computer will read 60+.
One trip on A roads for 50 miles saw an average of 73 mpg. But that is much smaller than the Passat.

Just to add, I spoke to a couple of mechanics (friends) when looking for my Golf as I was also looking at Passats and they told me to steer clear of the Mk5 golf and same age Passat as they are riddled with clutch and gear box issues.
How true that is I don't know.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Is your Golf a 1.9tdi or a 2.0tdi?
Mpg took a hammering when they moved from 1.9 engine to 2.0 engine.
My 1.9 A4 did 49mpg even when thrashed, my 2.0 A3 struggled to get 43mpg driven gently.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
There you go, there's no doubt VAG engines took a nosedive in efficiency when they went to 16v 2.0 engine.
It's no coincidence they continued the 1.9 engine in the 'E' models.
They couldn't get the 2.0 Co2 levels down enough.

Exemplar

Banned
People on here have regularly reported Audi's receive low MPG, so maybe it is just an Audi thing?

And the award for sweeping generalisation for MPG goes to!

Exemplar

Banned
I think you will find that it depends on the right foot....

FZR400RRSP

Banned
The fact Audi diesels aren't as efficient as others is actually easily proven.
Just look at Co2 figures on their website.
It's taken Audi years to get their diesels down to BMW efficiency levels.
When I ordered my 163bhp/109gkm BMW three years ago, Audi's closest model had 40bhp less and still put out more Co2.

Exemplar

Banned
The fact Audi diesels aren't as efficient as others is actually easily proven.
Just look at Co2 figures on their website.
It's taken Audi years to get their diesels down to BMW efficiency levels.
When I ordered my 163bhp/109gkm BMW three years ago, Audi's closest model had 40bhp less and still put out more Co2.

Yes you are right.

However you are also wrong.

A BMW Diesel driven with a heavy right foot will not achieve the MPG when against an equivalent Audi driven conservatively.

A

un1eash

Distinguished Member
That's pretty obvious and a pointless statement, any car thrashed is going to do worse then expected figures against a car driven sensibly. Its like Top Gears Prius vs M3, the M3 kept up with the Prius around a track and returned better MPG.

Phil Scott

I'm struggling to find something that meets all the criteria I have set... probably the closest so far is either a Fabia VRS (but they are so damn ugly) or the Mini, but that would mean going high mileage.

The more I think about it the more I am drawn to getting an FN2 Civic Type-R.. insurance is surprisingly reasonable, and at the end of the day, I don't do that many miles so the petrol consumption isn't a huge issue.

Should be able to get a GT model with less than 60k for around, or maybe slightly over, the budget I set. It should be capable of returning, just about, 40mpg on a long run when required..

Exemplar

Banned
Amen to the Fabia being ugly.
You couldn't drink that thing pretty.

One sat on Pratt and Gelsthorpe forecourt here in Newark for months now... Getting very dusty. I want to love the looks but I can't.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom