1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Philips TV sound 'problem'?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kevster, Apr 16, 2003.

1. kevster

kevster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    On my new Philips 32 inch 8807 TV occasionally when there is a very deep bass in a movie soundtrack (only noticed via DVD so far) there is a sort of a buzz or vibration that does'nt sound quite right from the speakers.

The set has Virtual Dolby Surround sound. Just wondering if this is a problem with my set or if its a common problem that could be solved later by going for an external sound system and muting the sound on the TV.

It only happens about twice throughout the Road to Perdition and about four times in Manhunter. Seems to be whenever the soundtrack plays at certain frequencies or whatever. Or is this part of the effect intended by the manufacturer (some chance!).

Dissapointing however, as the TV cost 6 or 7 times more than my Micro Hi-Fi system (Sony entry level) that has great sound from CD.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah ha!! I have asked this question several times. I had a Philips 6506 which has the exactt same problem. I first thought it was dvd's and only in scenes with diologue.

You should find that you will here it via Sky and terrestial tv.....it's very hard to pin down one thing, which is the problem I had. I thought I was going mad!!

I exchanged the set and that set also had it. I had set number one back, having been told it was repaired and it still had the 'hum'

I have just this lunchtime exchanged it for a Sony....although i do like the look of the Philips.