Help! Philips DVDR75 or Panasonic E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrewmellor, May 26, 2004.

1. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    Hope that I can get some user advice here, I'm currently looking to buy my first recorder to be used almost soley as a recorder as I'll be keeping my sony7700 for playback.
    Primarily it will be for archiving all our old vhs tapes and then used for recording from sky+, dv camcorder and digital camera.

I can get the Panasonic55 and Philips75 for 'roughly' similar prices and like the idea of the i-link for camcorder which the philips has. I had almost decided on the philips due to this and the fact that timeslip is not really required because we have sky+
    One of the things holding me back is that the philips seem to have an awful lot of bad user reviews whereas it seems to be generally accepted that the panasonic seems very reliable and also I do like the idea of the VR mode.
    Compatibilty is also an issue but I know that my sony is ok with -R and it's reported to be fine with +R/+RW would the -R format on the Panasonic allow any editing before finalising i.e. removing ads etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially as to limitations, speed and ease of use etc for both models....I've read a lot of the online reviews which seem to have them on a par for performance but would really like to hear from people who have been using them on a day to day basis.

Many thanks, Andrew

2. dvdmaniac

dvdmaniac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally own phillips dvdr 980, philips dvdr 70 and panasonic dmre50 dvd recorders. the philips 980 is currently in for repair, the R70 is ok most of the time, the panasonic has no problems. I find that the panasonic is far better for archiving vhs to dvd has it has a timebase corrector etc built in.
    You cannot edit DVD-R on this or any other machine as the format does not allow it. DVD ram is excellent for this but only plays on Ram capable players of which there are very few.
    DVD+RW allows you to Hide chapters on playback but you cannot re-arrange anything.
    It sounds like your bust option would be something with a HDD drive in it so you can edit on the hard drive, then copy to dvd-r for archive and playback in other Machines.
    The phillips recorders also seem to skip bad parts on a tape when copying, the resulting playback appearing to jump the bad sections. The Panasonic records tape glitches and all.
    Niether the phillips or panasonic will allow copying of macrovision protected tapes, only non protected, or tapes recorded myself.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As dvdmaniac said once a DVD-R has been recorded to you cant edit. You can of course delete the menu if you have made a mistake but as you know the space used is not recovered.

With regard to you archiving tapes you can use the pause button on DVD-R to cut out any unwanted bits.

Out of your two options I would favour the panny (Indeed I have two of them) It has the fantastic (FR) mode which is invaluable when fitting several progs on one disc.

But as dvdmaniac said you would be better off with a machine that has a bult in hard drive if your budget permits. It's a shame Sky+ has a hard drive that is useles for editing otherwise your problem could be that much easier and cheaper.

4. jfw08

jfw08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew, Panasonic are bringing the E65 Model out in June, which i believe as i link in & out & is also compatable with a pc.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for a Pioneer 5100.As you have Sky+ you can use s-video as the Pioneer lacks RGB input.The HDD will allow full editing and unlike the Panny's RAM system,-RW will allow you to record something(without editing) then play back in your Sony and then reuse the disc afterwards.As you plan to use your recorder for recording only(as I do) a Panasonic would limit you to playing back on -r on other machines.Wasted discs may be only 50p,but why waste discs when you don't have to.Apart from RGB input,the Pioneer offers everything on a Panny-and more

6. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks to all for your replies,
    Before reading these I had already jumped in and made the gamble with the philips 75 from richer sounds, multi-region for £249, rushed home on the friday night and after putting the twins to bed eagerly unwrapped the recorder and plugged it in to be greeted with an illuminated red ring on the display.....and that's it!!! totally frozen machine, I couldn't believe it especially after reading through reviews of philips players and not 'arming' the wife with this info.
    Anyway, I took the player back and after speaking with the wife decided to give it another go with a replacement but one chance only, fair play to richer sounds they were apologetic and the recorder was swapped, upon getting home it was 'tested out' and we did record from sky+, mini dv, vhs and even recorded a slide show from the digital camera so we are now happy that it will do what we were looking for.
    3 discs later and I can report that we are happy with what it does, exactly what we want. It records our vhs tape copies to disc and the camcorder link is quite a bit faster than the capture and convert/burn on my laptop so the wife is very happy.
    In conclusion it does seem like philips are having reliability problems but they are honouring any problems with repair/replacement which in my mind is worth quite a bit! We did take out the 3year ext warr with Richer sounds for £30 which reads very good..hopefully won't be using it tho
    Watch this space eh?
    Cheers..Andrew

7. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :suicide:
    Think yourself lucky.
    I've just had a Phillips dvdr880 back from repair for freezing, dropping frames etc, only to find it's actually worse !

Now it switches itself off after about 15 minutes

Peter

8. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Peter,
    Sorry to hear about that, actually the really awful reports regarding the 800 series was what really worried me about the philips. I have read that they have corrected these problems with the re-released 70/80 models...fingers crossed!
    As far as my machine goes it's working fine, Sky+ and VHS archiving going great guns, the recordings are as original....the DVin gives fantastic results too from the camcorder.
    The route I'm taking at the moment is to record to +rw then I transfer this to my laptop and I'm currently using tmpgenc dvd author to edit the recording and then burn to +r permanently and obviously deleting the +rw to re-use again.
    This is working great for us, the editing is perfect with menus/chapters as we want them and the burnt +r's are playing in the Sony and Philips fine.
    For once a happy Philips customer???
    Cheers, Andrew

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,958
    I've been impressed with my DVDR75 too, never had any problems with it. Great for getting stuff off Sky+ and transferring to the PC to convert to divx or burn to DVD-R.

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :rolleyes:

It's my own fault.
    It was going cheap in Currys. No box, no manual,no remote. (down loaded manual, bought a remote, stole the cat's box ;) )

Anyway, I'm taking it back in today.

I'm glad the new Phillips seem OK, happy recording :)

Peter

11. 2pods

2pods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :clap:
    Well, Currys replaced the 880 with a 70 so I'll see if this is any good.

Anything obvious to watch out for ?

I want to use it to back up my old videos,(Sonel Macro Master Scart) and then use it for Sky+

Peter