1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Philips 28pw6332/05 failure

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pwood, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. pwood

    pwood
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2003
    Messages:
    2,482
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    66
    Location:
    Central Scotland
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi,
    I feel this may be terminal but wondered if anyone can suggest what has happened to my set before I chuck it on the skip. Last night I was watching a DVD when the picture suddenly went and the set made a quiet cheaping noise followed by a small emission of smoke. I immediately turned it off and made sure it wasn't gonna go on fire. Tried it today and the light comes on but the set still make the switching noise as if its trying to show a picture but nothing happened.

    I fear its the tube as set is 5 years old and has already has a repair due to its going GREEN about a year ago. I;m really :censored: as I was waiting for the new HD Panasonic plasma screen and they are not out to who knows when in May so I'm really stuck on what to do. One things for sure another Philps anything is never gonna happen as my mates had a fair bit of agro with his newer 32 model as well.
     
  2. JayCee

    JayCee
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Messages:
    20,353
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Location:
    Lanarkshire
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    Your set is "tripping"........that is......it starts up......finds a voltage or current overload probably caused by a short-circuit component and it's electronic protection circuit shuts it down to prevent further damage or it going on fire......it then tries to start up again......and so on.
    It will keep doing this until the faulty component is replaced. I am 99% sure the fault on your model is caused by a short-circuit capacitor which.....when it goes short-circuit gives a puff of smoke and it should not be that expensive to repair.
    It could also be the crt, Philips had a bad batch of 28in widescreen crt's fitted to these and other models and when one of the guns goes short-circuit.....a resistor connected to that gun can burn and emit smoke.
    Where are you located?
     
  3. pwood

    pwood
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2003
    Messages:
    2,482
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    66
    Location:
    Central Scotland
    Ratings:
    +137
    Cheers JayCee. I'm in the Stirling area. As you reckon there a good chance its not an expensive fix I'll phone around the local repairers and see who can look at it the soonest as some will give a free estimate for repairs.
     

Share This Page

Loading...