1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, PHD7 or PV500 that is the question?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JML, Apr 13, 2005.

1. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a very stupid question but why would you buy a 42PHD7 rather than wait for 42PV500?

Cost from AV Sales:

PHD7 - £2420 (if you include wall mount)
    PV500 - £2373 includes wall mount and you get a DMRES10 thrown in

(Why is it more expensive?)

Connections

PHD7 - extra cost for whatever you want
    PV500 - looks to have everything you could want

HD compliant

PHD7 - would need a scaler
    PV500 - says it is

From a newbies point of view the PV500 seems to be technically better however my understanding is somewhat limited but all of the above say PV500. My assumption here is that the PQ on the PV500 will be no worse than the PHD7 (I know, a very big assumption and the mantra of Demo, Demo, Demo will apply when I can).

I know I'm comparing a TV to a panel and the speakers may be redundant if you already have a sound system but after reading about plasmas what now seems a life time (January) I just want to go and buy one. However with the launch of the PV500 due in May, to steal the title of Danluton's thread "must...resist...just...a...little.....longer...... .arrrrghhh"

Am I wrong?

2. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Because the Vierra is ugly? ;)

3. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

4. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    The pv500 does sound good. But i'd like to know if there will be a panel only version too?
    and when

5. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the PHD8 is not launched until September and probably not available until October. My plastic is buring a hole in my wallet at the moment it'll never last until then

6. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    same here

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    JML

The Panasonic PHD7 vs. PV500 question is pretty similar to the PHD7 vs. Pioneer XDE question - some folk will want the 'all-inclusive' solution some folk will want the flexibility of the 'screen only' models!

The PV500 is, for most folk, an unknown quantity - so whilst it ticks a lot of boxes for many folk its yet to be seen how good or bad the on-board processing works.

The PHD7 and PV500 are targeted at two distinct markets with quite different sales targets and supplied in the UK by different divisions of Panasonic Europe so whilst they will both know what they are each up to the PHD7 is not priced to be aggressive with the PV500.

The PHD7 only requires an external Video Processor if you want to Input a High Definition or Up-Scaled 50Hz signal via DVI or HDMI - otherwise you can Input PAL 576i(50) signals (SKY, R2 DVD, Freeview etc) and 480P(60), 720P(60) and 1080i(60) Standard Definition, Up-scaled and High Definition signals.

The majority of PHD7 units are supplied with only One Input Board (approx £125) and many folk use the likes of Arcam, Denon and Pioneer AV Receivers as a Video Hub for a range of compatible source kit.

Best regards

Joe

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I'd rather have a panel, for elegance... But then, this does make it easy for the W and Kids to just stick the telly on, it looks pretty good (not as good as the Pio, but much better and sleeker than the old Viera), it makes connections a lot simpler for now (no buying boards), it can be used as a standalone for the kids when the new SED panels come in :), and, most important of all, it'll be here a damn sight sooner!

9. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Absolutely, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment really, although I am not a keen Vierra fan (the previous gen styling isn't too hot when wall mounted imo) I know lots of people love the styling. :)

10. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe,
    I thought the price thing might be along the lines of the PHD is targeted at Commerical customers.
    I don't see myself taking up Sky HD when it's offered but then again never say never, hence an eye on the future.
    I suppose it comes down to it, do I wait until the PV500 comes out and can have a look at it myself/read the reviews or do I just go for it and get the PHD7!
    Decision, decisions, decisions** :confused:

11. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is always a difficult decision, if you wait for the new model later this year you'll be set with your plan and happy in anticipation, but by that time the forums will be starting to buzz with the 'next big thing' and doubts start to creep in on your master plan. People can spend years on here trying to decide :D

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

12. JML

JML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading this forum and the various magazines over the last four months I now just want to go out get one and enjoy it. There will never be the best time to buy because there will always something just on the horizon to distract you.

Back to my contemplation’s Decision, Decision, Decisions :confused:

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Demo demo demo is cetainly true. I imagine the PV500 is gonna be a PHD7 wrapped up in Viera electronics. Unfortunately this technique so far has provided inferior screens to their commercial equivalents. The commercial screens being far more flexible when it comes to colour and grayscale adjustment and always providing a cleaner, sharper picture when compared to the equivalent Viera. It ticks the spec sheet boxes, but if it's a crap picture it's a crap picture. I am praying to God that this one isn't, but my faith in Panasonic has dwindled over the years as price has become the priority over quality. Only time (and a demo) will tell

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Sulis just one quick point on usability - the day one of the big Japanese companies comes out with an easy to use piece of kit will be a happy one for those of us in the trade who spend many hours trying to 'simplify' what should be a simple process but in fact is turned into a 1000 button nightmare by 'engineers' who design Firmware, OS and Remotes in Japan.

I doubt any Japanese manufacturer actually has a 'usability' department - if they do they ask all the wrong questions.

For simplicity a PHD7 plus SKY+ with the SKY remote set to turn the Display on/off and adjust the volume cant be beaten :)

Best regards

Joe

15. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TH42PHD7 is normally only sold threw Panasonic business side whereas the TH42PV500 is for the public market. Hence price difference. Originally there was a HDMI input board ment for the 7 series but it never arrived cos idiots at panasonic made it as a 60Hrz instead of 50Hrz. However it will recieve a HD signal of 720P and 1080I through component,but in scaled form.

The TH42PV500 will take an HD signal of 720P and 1080I through its HDMI input and through Component and Pc Input.

The 8th series will be probaly be the same resolution as the PV500 (1024*768) compared to the 7 series and the PE50 range of 852*480. It will probaly use the new G8 progressive plasma technology from panasonic. Also will prob doe a max of 8.6 billion colours compared to half that on the 7 series.

See sales people in shop@panasonic stores doe no more than ur currys or comet sales people :D

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    llg

Sort of correct :)

The TY-FB7HM HDMI Board for the 7 Series Display's did arrive - I know I have them in stock.

The HDMI Board and DVI Board both have, for some, the same shortcomings:

No support for 720P(50) signals - SKY HD when it arrives.

No support for 768P(50) signals - so no 1:1 pixel mapping at 50Hz if your using an external Video Processor.

Otherwise they will both work with 576P(50), 720P(60), 768P(60) and 1080i(60) via HDMI and DVI (with HDCP).

Best regards

Joe

17. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the HDMI board it didnt arrive for the pw7 range obv the phd7 range are a slightly diff animal. and as for the 720P.

Yes they do support 720P at 50Hrz. Certanitly through component Obv Analogue But it is Capable. So Hence it will support Sky HD

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How true! If only Apple produced plasmas... :)

19. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Not much use when everything worth watching will be on the HDMI. It's not in the content producers' interests to allow their 'good stuff' to be broadcast in HD without HDCP.

20. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WRONG!!! :oops:

the pv500 is an 8th generation screen with 8.6 billion colours as apposed to the 1.07 billion of the phd7. And Has SD card RECORDING. :lesson:

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

IIg

The TY-FB7HM HDMI Board will fit in any 7 Series Display - PW, PWD or HD.

SKY HD was originally announced as 720P(50) or 1080i(25) via HDMI with the majority of programs being encrypted using HDCP on the HDMI socket.

Since the original announcement SKY have hinted that there may also be support for 720P(50) and 1080i(25) via Analogue YUV with no encryption - though not all program material will be available on this connection; it'll be down to the rights owner/broadcaster to set HDCP or not.

The availability of YUV will be on a 'First Generation' only box and be for a 'transition' period only.

Sulis - agreed Home Electronics manufacturers should hijack some folk who design OS and Software for the likes of Apple; or just not allow 'engineers' to run these departments.

Best regards

Joe

PS The team who designed the SKY remote/interface also deserve a big thumbs up!!!

22. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hmm... that is one way to get a lot of existing Plasma owners to buy into HD at the start, or am I just cynical? :)

23. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Rahmorak

I think its one way to cover your **s if you've recently sold lots of your customers TV's with YUV but no HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) inputs that support 720P(50) or 1080i(25) :)

Best regards

Joe

24. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know If thyre going to bring out a board with hdcp decription on it?

If so will this come out at the same time as the pw8 panel? I presume there will be a pw8 panel?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?? :rolleyes:

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    thegooseman

The TY-42TM6DB (DVI) for 6 or 7 Series Displays plus the TY-FB7HM HDMI for 7 Series Displays boards are both HDCP compliant.

A new range of 8 Series ONLY boards will also appear that are HDCP compliant and importantly will support 720P(50) and 1080i(25).

Best regards

Joe

26. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uk specs?
    panasonic?
    Where from?

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello thegooseman

The TY-42TM6DB and TY-FB7HM boards are all UK spec and I'm sure were not alone in having both in stock (If you want more info drop me a PM).

The specs on the 8 Series Display models (UK/Euro spec) have not been released as yet - we'll not get them 'officially' until the Trade launch in September; though we may get the odd 'leak' before then :)

Best regards

Joe