Help - PES 2009 Demo Broke my PS3?

maxcovergold

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright guys,

This is an odd one. I turned on my PS3 a while ago to download the PES 2009 demo and then installed it. When I tried to start the demo the screen just went blank, I left it there for a few minutes with no change. I then restarted the PS3 and it came on for a couple seconds then the screen went blank.

THe machine appears to be running and doing it's regular thing in the background as it intermittently flashed on for a second before then going blank again, showing being in FIFA 08 (the disc in the machine). It apears to flash on when I do somthing if I leave it for a little while, like press the control pad or unplug and reconnect the HDMI.

It really doesn't seem like physical problem with the HDMI cable or connections. I've never had any problem before with the ouput on the PS3. I've only had it on for about an hour and doesn't seem too warm. I have two HDMI pots on my TV, the other with the input from my PC's DVI, I tried switcing around but had the same outcome, PC worked fine, PS3 didn't.

I've been waiting ages to pick up FIFA 09 and with it due out tomrrow my PS3 has packed up, any ideas?

Cheers

Max

Last edited:
have you tried reseting you ps3 output - when switching on hold start till you hear 3 beeps

have you tried reseting you ps3 output - when switching on hold start till you hear 3 beeps

I just tried this in several different ways, i.e. with/wo usb cable, I'm not getting three beeps. Display doesn't apear to be coming on at all any more, though it is sending a signal of sorts to my TV as it thinks there is video there, and blinks a little.

EDIT - Ok, I read that you reset the display setting by holding down the power button for 5 secs. I did that and it beeped once at me, but still having the same problem.

Last edited:
Any idea what caused the problem? I've just downloaded the demo but don't want to install it in case it knackers my PS3
:eek:

its also freezing xbox 360s aswell.

Looks like i'll avoid installing it then!!

it does seem massively suspect, but haven't heard anyone having the same problem as me and I know people who have had no problem with the demo. Can't see how installing an application on my PS3 is going to effect the display output when it's not even being run.

Has anyone had a similar problem to this before?

Same thing happened to me. Was selecting the team colours and there was a 'pop' sound and my TV reverted back to CH4. Selected HDMI on my TV again and was fine again. Managed to play the demo all the way through without any problems - apart from losing 1-0 to Barca. :D

Have since deleted it.

I've not been that fortunate, didn't even get into the game and can not use my PS3 at all now.

Anyone with knowledge of how the PS3 works know if it is possible that the PES Demo is the cause of these problems, or if it's just a massive coincidence? Cheers

Sounds to me that somehow the video output has been reset.

I think the first thing I would try is to get out the supplied composite cable and reset the PS3 by holding down the I/O button for 10 seconds and reset it back to default (video output) - select the corresponding input on your TV and reconfigure it back to HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
meaby phone sony and see what they say, somebody else might have had same prob .....sorry to hear this mate :suicide:

I've been playing PES 09 demo for the past hour perfectly fine and i haven't experienced any problems. Have to say its looking very good so far.

Sounds to me that somehow the video output has been reset.

I think the first thing I would try is to get out the supplied composite cable and reset the PS3 by holding down the I/O button for 10 seconds and reset it back to default (video output) - select the corresponding input on your TV and reconfigure it back to HDMI.

Thanks a lot to everyone, I am back up and running with a few hours before the FIFA release, though I think I'll wait till morning to pick it up.

After much digging in the freezing garage with no light I managed to find my PS3 box with the composite connections. Managed to reset like you suggested by holding down the power button on the console for five seconds. I then removed the PES 2009 demo and changed back to HDMI. Seems to be working fine.

I only removed PES 2009 demo as a precaution, may have played fine after this reset, but I didn't want to risk it. Thanks again. Max

I installed it, havent had any problems at all, and I think it's back to what it should be.

Soz to hear the problems the guys are having, maybe just unlucky......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot to everyone, I am back up and running with a few hours before the FIFA release, though I think I'll wait till morning to pick it up.

After much digging in the freezing garage with no light I managed to find my PS3 box with the composite connections. Managed to reset like you suggested by holding down the power button on the console for five seconds. I then removed the PES 2009 demo and changed back to HDMI. Seems to be working fine.

I only removed PES 2009 demo as a precaution, may have played fine after this reset, but I didn't want to risk it. Thanks again. Max

Glad the video reset worked for you. :smashin:

Downloaded and works fine,all my PS3 mates have had no problems either..Anyway looks good enough to stop us from rushing out and buying Fifa..Looking forward to the full game

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom