HELP! Persisten 60 cycle hum through amps, electronics.

tooktheredpill

Novice Member
Sorry if this isn’t the right spot, but the problem cripples amplifiers so I chose this.

Im sure it’s a grounding issue, but the problem is we can’t figure out how to fix it.

My whole house hums - 60cycle(Canada). My stereo in the house hums loudly, and my house has killed about 8 of them in the 20 years I’ve lived here. Usually one speaker either begins to cut in and out or stops working altogether.

Worse, I have a recording studio above the garage and every piece of gear hums, as well as through the monitors. there the level of the hum is according to how loud the amp is set, not the level of signal I’m putting through it via the mixer.

In 2 years I’ve had to get my guitar amp repaired twice and my studio monitor amp as well.

I had an electrician remove my old ground wire and install a new ground plate to code. No improvement.

I’ve plugged them in different places. Studio, house, extension cord directly into the panel. No improvement.

I’ve tried using an extension cord with the third prong(ground wire) removed. It still hums.

I’ve tried two different power conditioners in my studio. No change.

Please give me ideas, things to check that I might not have checked.

thank you for your time.
Keith.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Not an option. Built the house and we are thoroughly entrenched here.
That certainly is a weird one.
Does your amplifier hum with the volume at minimum?
Does it hum with no other units connected to it- to illuminate earth loop hum?

So maybe look at your power. Get an electronic engineer to look at the waveform of your power. It is most unusual, but it could be there are serious harmonics which could be picked up in the sensitive amplification stages.
Also get the engineer to check your two phase voltages reference to earth.

tooktheredpill

Novice Member
Yeah I think I need someone with some pretty sensitive equipment out here. House amp hums, guitar amps hum, studio monitor amp hums, outboard eq hums, mic preamps hum. Everything.

Marvin the Android

Yeah I think I need someone with some pretty sensitive equipment out here. House amp hums, guitar amps hum, studio monitor amp hums, outboard eq hums, mic preamps hum. Everything.
Overvoltage saturating coils causing them to vibrate?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom