1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help PDP-434HDE Height adjustment

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by denniswaugh, Nov 17, 2003.

1. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've owned the PDP 434 for two weeks. I soon noticed that I needed to adjust the height of the image to remove the black band from the top of the screen, even when in zoom mode.

Also, when watching films (DVD) with subtitles or programs (via NTL box) with the information bar at the bottom of the screen, I can only see the very top edge of the writing.

I have adjusted the vertical height to its maximum, changed all the various aspect ratios, turn off/on Wss etc, all to no avail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Remeber that a lot of original film material has been filmed in widescreen with a wider ration than 16:9. All DVDs showing 2.35:1 ratio or higher will always have black bands on top and bottom. Our screens are made directly to 1.85:1 ratio (16:9). You should not really try to adjust the pricture size by zooming or moving it up or down. You would lose part of the pricture and in most cases anamorphic resolution.

I suggest you use the THX optimiser found on DVDs like Star Wars, Terminator 2 or Monsters Inc. You will then be able to accurately adjust your image height and leave it at that. Even subtitled films will then be dispayed OK.

3. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Costas.

I understand what you are saying but I do think I have a problem. I previously had a Panasonic TH42 PW5 and did not have this problem with the same DVD's or watching breakfast news etc.

I'll try the THX optimiser route tonight as you suggest and I have on order the AVIa setup disc.

Thanx

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    OK, just let me know. I would leave WSS on and 4:3 set to 4:3.
    It probably sounds silly, but just to be sure switch on/off plasma and media box before you do the adjustment with the optimiser (it will surely clear any stuck memory settings).

The THX optimiser is good enough to address your specific problem. I have also the AVIA, however when you come down to the various detailed tests for contrast, brightness, colour... etc, always bear in mind that any settings driven from AVIA are strictly applying to NTSC signals.

5. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello Costas.

Tried your suggestions, WSS on 4.3to4.3 etc.
    After much frustration the only (temporary) cure is to reset the media box by switching off and removing the mains plug for a while.

Turn media box back on and all was OK, but; I said temporary because this morning I changed the picture aspect to and upon trying to return to the standard image size I find the image remains "vertically stretched".

Any other thoughts on what could be the problem?

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Have you experienced any drop out problems while watching any type of source (see other 434 threads).

In any case, I recommend you contact Pioneer immediately through their website or phone. They do provide a quick efficient service. The phone number is 01753 789500