1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! pci serial controller needed.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Timh, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Please help.

My Brothers very old PC needs a pci serial controller. He is running win98SE. The drivers are not on the 98 disc and he has no mother board drivers.
    His board is a i430vx intel board.

Cheers.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Tim.

Not sure if he needs an "expansion" serial PCI card or just drivers for what he already has (i.e. on-board serial).

Recently installed 98se on a laptop (not as easy as that TBH - no cd/dvd drive :() & needed heaps of stuff.

Loads of .dlls etc ARE on the Win '98 cd but are contained in compressed .cab files. If it's something it's looking for, see what it needs (click more details when it asks for the path to the file(s)). Do a google on that file & you'll find pretty quickly ascertain in which .cab it's located. Then just extract the .cab & there you go..........your missing file.

Hope this makes since & is indeed what's needed. If not, well, I tried ;)

Best of luck.

:smoke:

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Kramer :)

I will give it a try, cross your fingers.

Tim

4. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VX? that is old, VX topped out at a P200MMX iirc.

afaik Win98SE has a 'check windows update' feature when installing devices. Try ticking that box and see what it comes up with.

I'm assuming you simply want the drivers installed.. not actually after a peice of hardware. Guessing its something you've noticed in device manager.. if its all working fine to worry too much about it. Its probably the USB controller, most VX boards had the layout on the board for USB controllers but it was never implemented properly (i've tried soldering a usb header on one..didnt work! it'll just be windows getting confused!

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Interesting.... I was actually upgrading his pc from win95 to add USB but I cannot get it to work... Guess its back to 95 until he upgades his PC.

Cheers

Delta 2 ;)

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly the problem I had with the laptop - no USB (originally had Win '95 installed).

Of course the laptop had a USB port already installed, but wouldn't work with '98 until I installed all the "bits" missing in the OS.

:smoke:

7. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the cost of uprading is so low, i really can't see why hes using such an old system really

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    He will not spend money on his pc as he is going to buy a new one next year.
    It is really cheap to upgrade, just look at ebay :eek: