• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HELP! - PC To TV (HDMI To HDMI)

tnutkins

Standard Member
Hello,

I just joined this board cause i'm looking for a bit of help with something, Basically i'm wanting to connect my PC to my new TV, So i can switch between using it as a PC monitor & also for watching TV...

I've just purchased a "Digihome 22" 22784 WHD TV" It's HD-Ready & has an HDMI socket at the side! Information on it can be found here:

Digihome 22" 22784 WHD TV - Tesco.Direct

I then looked at my GFX card & found it only had an S-VIDEO, VGA & 2X DVI plugs, My GFX card is a GE-FORCE 8800 GT, you can find information on it here:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

...Now i've done a bit of reading around on the web & i've come to the conclusion of the follow, & i was wondering if you'd be able to tell me if it'd work, without any problems...

I purchased the following:

DVI-D (MALE) to HDMI (FEMALE) ADAPTOR:
HDMI TO HDMI CABLE:

I was thinking i could connection the adaptor to my DVI slot in my GFX card, put one end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI slot in the adaptor, & then place the other end of the HDMI cable into the TV...

Basically i'm just wondering if it'll work?

Will i get any sound? (I use my stereo/speakers for sound on my pc)

Thanks & await feedback!

wkc

Standard Member
Yes, you'll only get a picture only. But there seems to be a version of the card that has audio HDMI output. Best ensure you've installed the upto date drivers.

Regards

tnutkins

Standard Member
Yes, you'll only get a picture only. But there seems to be a version of the card that has audio HDMI output. Best ensure you've installed the upto date drivers.

Regards

Yeah, that's what i was thinking.. but my pc drive will be connected up to my stereo speakers, which are louder than if the sound was coming out of the tv.. so really, i don't want sound coming from my tv, i still want it coming from my stereo speakers.. & as for when i switch to tv mode, i really don't mind if i have to put up with just the sound coming from the tv speakers instead of the stereo speakers

..If you understand where i'm coming from, I'm right in thinking this aren't I?

Alphathon

That should work no problem. HDMI and DVI are essentially the same (they use the same video signal) with the obvious differences that they use different connectors, and HDMI has audio and as you're using your stereo speakers it really doesn't matter that you won't get sound over the DVI connector.

You could probably connect your TV to your speakers as well if they're better than the TVs. You just need to connect the speakers to the headphone jack on the TV. If they have 2 inputs then its easy (one fot the PC, 1 for the TV), if not, you would just need a switcher or something (for analog audio, which it would be from the headphone socket, its pretty cheap. A switcher would maybe be about £15 max at a guess - I've never looked. Worth lookin into though if you don't mind the extra cable from the TV). If its a set of PC speakers connected through digital, it may be more difficult though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom