Help! Password hacked?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by xpeterpx, Feb 22, 2013.

1. xpeterpx

xpeterpx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all
    I'm new here and need some help for my son please.
    We discovered today via Email that that the network password had been changed.
    My son did not change it so I can only think tht it has been done malicioulsy.
    Luckily there are no card details stored on it.
    Can I ask what would be the best course of action to take?
    Clearly he cant login now and we have reported this to Playstation Uk but not sure how long they are likley to take to respond or even be able to help?

Any advice appreciated
    pete

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    You could phone them up again, and query it further.
    There are security questions they can go through, to prove it's your account.
    What did they say exactly to you?, that it had been escalated?, if so it may be about 7 days or so for them to get back to you(assuming they said they would get back to you).

One thing to try is to go here: http://uk.playstation.com/registration/?reason=noAuth&t=/psn/mypsn/

Sign in, but click "Forgot Password", and follow the steps, then after you manage to sign in, change the email address associated with the account, like in "account management" on the PS3, and change the email there too, so if someone has changed the password but wasn't smart enough to change the email address, then they get locked out.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  3. xpeterpx

xpeterpx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats excellent advice-many thanks for all your help:)

4. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Obviously the immediate course of action would be to request another new password change to be sent to his email address.
    I'm hoping no-one else knows his email's password? Perhaps get him to change that, and at the same time a small lecture on password security wouldn't go amiss.

The next thing would be to ensure his PS3 does not remember the password. Get him to enter it manually each time he needs to log-on. This will prevent siblings or 'friends' from accessing his PSN account without his permission.

Perhaps he has an account set up on a friend's PS3 somewhere and they did this new password request 'for a laugh'.
    If this is the case I'd also suggest your son reviews what behaviour he expects from his current circle of friends (or siblings?).