Help!!! Party Photography!

CyBeRkId2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im photographing a friends parents 60th wedding aniversary tonight as a favour and i am now terrified.

Its in a small village hall with aprox 100 people attending. Any very general tips for party photogrpahy would be very much appreciated.

The kit i have is a D50, 3gb SD Cards, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 24-70 2.8 (bought today!), kit lens, cheap Sigma 28-200 and a tripod.

Sorry i cant be more specific but dont have many details.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi,

Funny I was a a Birthday party last night, and while I fogot my Camera (DOH!:suicide: ), but being new to photography I tried to think about any shots that I could have taken.

So...Get some "formal" ones, thats all the family together, just the 2 of them friends etc,

Then loads of infromal ones. They tend to be the ones they will like the most. Kids are always a great, the littler the better and if there is music/dancing.

Also as a idea.. try and walk around lot but hide the camera to get those one off moments.

As to the Photo side, no idea which lens or settings would be best, someone else hopefully can help there.

Good Luck!:smashin:
Puli

Make sure you take a picture of the Cake!

And think about the position of the body or head. If its a head shot don't put the head in the centre. :)

iluvlesta said:
the only advice you need is get some more expensive kit!!

Eh! You were joking right? You can get amazing results even with the most basic kit if you know the limitations and strong points of each piece. You don't have to have the biggest lenses and most expensive body to get it right.

iluvlesta said:
the only advice you need is get some more expensive kit!!

The tools don't make a good workman, and besides I think the kit you have is good enough for your needs. I know that Canon 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for portraits on the 350d, so I assume that the Nikon equivalent on the D50 is the same.

But all this advice doesn't matter since the party was last night, so I guess the question is how did it go? Any tips you picked up yourself during the night?

it was a private joke. i will in future refrain from joking in this way in the forums. how inappropriate.:oops:

Hi CyBeRkId2002

Did you manage to get some good shots?.....

Puli

iluvlesta said:
it was a private joke. i will in future refrain from joking in this way in the forums. how inappropriate.:oops:

:D Ah right, stick something like [/private joke] on the end next time and we'll all ignore it or plague you to find out what the joke is ;)

it went absolutely horribly... dont feel like taking about it. so many problems with low light, my on camera flash not reaching over the top of my new lens therefor casting a shadow at the bottom... the list really could go on.

CyBeRkId2002 said:
it went absolutely horribly... dont feel like taking about it. so many problems with low light, my on camera flash not reaching over the top of my new lens therefor casting a shadow at the bottom... the list really could go on.

Never mind. You will be stronger for it...

Do you have Photoshop?

yeah, and i shot in raw and got a couple out of it that are alright. im speaking to the person whose party it was soon... if she doesnt have a problem with me posting some of the pics ill stick a couple of the better ones up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom