Help Pansonic TV HDMI Corruption Issue...

ChrisPovey

Standard Member
Bit of an odd one this. This morning everything was fine then this afternoon I have a problem with the HDMI picture. Best way to describe it is like looking at a GIF picture from 1990's. Where there is a shade change there is a white line following the colour shade changes on the screen.

Set Up:

Panasonic TX-L37G20B
Yamaha RX-A3060
FireTV Stick 4K

The FireTV Stick is connected to the Yamaha RX-A3060. Single HDMI cable to the TV. I turned everything off. Disconnected the HDMI form the table and plugged the FireTV Stick directly into the TV. Made no difference. I then plugged in a spare FireTV box. Made no difference. I reconnected the Yamaha's HDMI cable to the TV and tried my Sony Bluray player (in case it was an Internet issue). Corruption was still there. I also tried the stick in each of the 4 HDMI ports, but the picture was still corrupted.

The odd thing. If I switch the TV to a DVB HD channel (through the aerial) the picture is fine! It seems the HDMI ports processor has gone bang. Is that possible?

Any suggestions or is it new TV time?

Attachments

• 20210206_182432.png
    20210206_182432.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, the HDMI ports/controller can fail. You could try a factory reset/extended power off (remove all power from the TV for at least an hour), update the firmware, if any updates are available, but that, at face value, looks like a fault to me.

Upvote 0

ChrisPovey

Standard Member
Thanks. I feared it might be. This is my second (and last) Panasonic TV. The first one the PSU packed up which caused the TV to randomly switch off. This one has killed it HDMI ports. Oh well, may be time for that 4K TV. :)

Upvote 0

ChrisPovey

Standard Member
You can buy the PCB with all the rear mounted ports on it off Ebay. Problem is I don't know if that board does the decoding or if it is done on another PCB. There are no obvious chips in the photos...

Upvote 0

ChrisPovey

Standard Member
So there has been a development. While doing a deep dive into the setting I found numerous setting for picture "enhancements". These were all set to off. I went through each one cycling them from off to on or off to min/mid/max. Then back to off. One of them seems to have reset the TV and now the HDMI ports are back to normal! :)

Upvote 0

ChrisPovey

Standard Member
Well I cursed that didn't I :(. Turned on the TV today. Problem is back. So I went through the process again. Didn't work this time. Then the screen was suddenly filled with multi-coloured vertical lines before going black. Power cycling got the "bad" picture back, but I think its days are numbered.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom