1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!! Panny e30 problem.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Machine Head, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic dmr-e30, which, up untill now has been hassle free, has all of a sudden started playing up. The problem I have is with my ram discs. When I put either a caddied or caddyless disc in, the machine starts making some teribble noises from, I think, spinning them in trying to read the disc. Which it fails to do. I can still play normal pre bought dvd's and dvd's I have made on the e30. I can set the timer using any disc and when it starts it make this god awfull noise in starting up. It won't record anything but on the timer screen it will read what disc space I have left. I have sent a couple of disc's to my brother to try in his e50 and I hope he will get back to me this afternoon. Anybody come across similar problems and what did you do to resolve it? The e30 is still under it's 1 year guarentee and I plan to take it back to Comet tomorrow. Can anybody tell me what my rights are regarding returned goods? Am I entitled to demand a refund, replacement or do I have to wait for Comet to check and repair it? After all, it's only 11 months old and if it has to be repaired do I get another 12 months cover or just on the part that gets mended? Also, if it has to be replaced, does the fact that I paid 400 quid for it mean I can choose goods up to the same value? A lot of questions, I know, but any help will be appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Can you format the DVD-RAM disk or does the machine's attempts to spin up prevent you do this? If so does a formatted disk work OK?

3. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for being so quick. Bit of both really. Sometimes it spins and spins and spins, shuts down and then recovers. Other times it just stops and on the on screen menu's only disc info and timer record are acsessable and when I go into disc info I try to format or erase and it says it can't do it.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    It's probably just that your machine needs the lense cleaned (symptoms are the same). And to resolve this you'll need to use a DVD-RAM lense cleaner. Best to use a Panny one IMHO - the LF-K123LCA1 for example. There might be some mileage in giving Panny support a ring to see if they can supply you with one: 08705-357357. Otherwise take your unit to Comet who will send it off to Panny who will clean the lense and send it back (but at least it won't cost you!).

Failing that lense cleaners are readily available on the internet (although mostly from US sites).

5. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Just so you know, I sent the ram discs to my brother to play on his e50 and niether would. Crashed his machine. I can understand the caddyless disc not playing thru' being scratched or something, but the one in the caddy? Might let Comet do the work.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I thought I might let Comet do the work. Took the E30 in and they said they would take care of it. A week later I got a phone call telling me to ring Panasonic themselves because Comet don't repair dvd recorders. Why I wasn't told this when I took it in I don't know. Muppets. Anyway, Panasonic are coming to pick it up but thanks to Comet I have wasted a week messing about. At least it isn't costing me anything.