1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! Panny 42" 7 or Hitachi 42pd5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lordbilly, Mar 14, 2005.

1. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just received a great offer from av-sales on the panny ,incl wall mount and a couple of boards. But for £200 more could purchase the hitachi with everything built in but not incl a wall mount .On paper the hitachi looks the winner even with the extra expense , SO what would you go for? Any advice or help would be brilliant.

Cheers Lordbilly

2. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Had my PW7 just under a month now and it rocks!!

Cant comment on the Hitachi screen.

PW7 Baby all the way!

Dal

3. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a hitachi 42pd5200 and its a great screen with loads of inputs the best thing to do is go and have a demo and dont be out off by these forums as they are a little panasonic biast :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic and Hitachi are chalk and cheese in my opinion - you'll love one and hate the other, quite probably. A demo is essential (as it should be even if youve got your eyes on only one).

Quite possibly, you might not be a fan of either, like me. I find the Hitachi too bold and cartoonish with poor black levels, the Panasonic too dull and grubby with poor detail...and would prefer something inbetween, but we all like different things.

If you can last another 3 months, bear in mind that new sets and new prices are coming in TV land...

Other current alternatives are: NEC 42VM5 panel. Sony KE-P42M1 and Philips 42PF9956 TV.

It's best to make up your own mind, really...a forum is great for ideas, but it will never replace your own set of eyes.

5. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lordbilly,

I was in the same dilemma as you 3 months ago. At that time, I was trying to decide between the Panny PW6 and the Hitachi 42pd5200. After doing research for a month and looking at both the Pw6 and 42pd5200 in action, I chose the 42pd5200 for the following reasons:-

(i) the Hitachi is a all-in solution whereas the Pw6 is only a panel. My minimum requirement was a Scart, component and DVI/HDMI. The Hitachi has 2 components, a few S videos, DVI, Scart (RGB) and a VGA (Component or RGB). If I added the boards for the Pw6 plus the stand, it only worked out to be about £200 cheaper (not before adding the DVI board);

(ii) the Hitachi has the added tuner and speakers. The tuner is no use to me as I have SKY. The speakers sounds larger than its size and is very useful for watching SKY as you (or your kids) don't have to meddle with your AV Receiver;

(iii) the digital input (DVI) is crucial to me. I have a Denon 2910 connected to my Hitachi and it works a treat! Through DVI, the colours are more natural and the image looks more three dimensional. At that time, it was uncertain whether DVI boards were going to be available for the Pw6. It now is available and you have to add the cost if you buy one;

(iv) the Hitachi has a higher resolution. 1024x1024 compared to 853x480. I know that the Hitachi panel is a Alis panel. But if you look carefully at both screens, the size of the PW6 pixels is significantly larger than the Hitachi. it is noticable when you are within 3-4 feet from the Plasma and it disturbs me! The Hitachi supports 480P, 576P, 720 P (60Hz) and 1080i (50 and 60hz). The bummer is that it does not support 720P 50Hz which SKY has stated it will support when HD comes out next year. I am hoping that SKY will also support 720P 60hz or even 1080i. After all, SKY's own plasma is a rebadged 42pd5200;

(v) the design of the Hitachi looks better. The glass fascia over the external face makes it look more elegant, like a proper TV. The PW6 looks more basic and very much like a computer monitor.

(vi) also the Hitachi comes highly recommended by most Home Cinema magazines. Although this is not a major factor in the decision, it does help in boosting your confidence that you are making the right choice;

(vii) lastly and which I think is the most important, I preferred the PQ of the Hitachi. I had compared the 2 screens side by side and I found the PQ of the Hitachi to be more accurate to real life colours. I found the Pw6 too dark and soft for my liking. This is very subjective and will vary from person to person. I think the most important thing is for YOU to decide for yourself by looking at the performance and the overall package of both Plasma and ask yourself this question. As an overall package, which do you prefer personally?

Recommendations may provide some pointers to you on what to look for. At the end of the day, you will have to make the decision yourself. Sorry for the long post. I did do quite a lot of research before deciding on the Hitachi. So I just want to share my thought process with you.

P/S: Hitachi is launching the 42pd7200 sometime in April. That model will be officially HDTV ready and will support 720P 50Hz. The price will be higher of course. You might want to wait - if you can :D

6. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Limbk,nice and informative post.
    I find myself in a similar position to LordBilly but what has made the decision somewhat easier is i've found a local dealer doing a fair deal on the Hitachi 5200 which will include a table stand + Optimum rack.

Quick question : Limbk,what did you pay for the Hitachi?
    LordBilly,what price have you been quoted for the Hitachi 5200?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Legz

7. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my from NexNix. Paid £1987 inclusive of next day delivery.

Probably can get it about £20 cheaper elsewhere but I didn't bother cos they could not promise me next day delivery.

8. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I've been quoted £1850 for a new 42pd5200 including the table stand and £2100 including the optimum glass rack (matches my hifi rack).
    Seems a good deal.
    Think i'll pop down there (only 4 miles away) and discuss extended warranties etc.

Thanks again,
    Legz

9. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

sounds a good deal to me. I've always fancied the glass rack, but couldn't afford it. The swivle table top stand is very good though (and also looks ace).

10. Zulu_UK

Zulu_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys....

I am new so be nice ! :hiya:

I am returning to South Africa in May and I have also been looking at buying the Hitachi or Pana......but my heart is really set on a minimal looking screen, almost like a picture frame in black....and it would be great if it could be a Sony....

with out highjacking..... :lease:

Looking at spending £1800 all in. need no stand or speakers, just wall bracket
    I will also be buying it though work so I can get it direct from distibution - should save some cash

:lesson:

what would you all reckon?

11. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hi legz and everyone,

Could get the hitachi as cheap as £1885.00 incl vat and delivery from a internet site. Local dealer can offer £1938,00 incl vat and delivery ,which seems more realistic and if there are any problems at least they have shop i can return to. Most internet sites dont have it in stock until the end of the month and considering i have the 'iwantitnow' bug the above proposition sounds good. If anyone sees it cheaper give us a reply. BTW Legz where can you get the hitachi for £1850.00 ?

Cheers

12. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    LordBilly,the ticket price was £1899 on special offer as I think they're moving away from AV to concentrate soley on hifi (which they have done for 30 years).
    I've been a regular there for over a decade so was offered the deal with the optimum.
    The problem is they only have 2 left in stock,with one of those on display so give me a day or so to sort my finances before i 'release details' :smashin:

13. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lord

I'd go with the Hitachi, they are wonderful screens despite what the panny lovers say.

14. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you're even remotely interested in resolution, then there's no choice but to buy the Hitachi. The Panasonic is only 480 lines, and since TV & video pictures have 576 lines, you're losing 96 lines of picture quality. More specifially, you're getting a blurred approximation of 576 lines on a 480 line screen, meaning the image won't be anywhere near as crisp and as sharp as it was intended to be viewed. Admittedly, the Hitachi won't show all 576 lines in their purest form — it'll still be interpolated. But it will be virtually identical because there is enough resolution to accurately represent the image.

480 lines is the American standard. This resolution is nowhere near as good as the UK (PAL) standard. They've envied us for years. By buying a plasma with 480 lines, you're throwing the high resolution of UK broadcasts in the bin and adopting the low resolution American standard. Which is fine if you watch a lot of American TV shows imported on region 1 DVD. But if you watch British stuff then you're missing out on the higher resolution of British TV.

Put it this way, HDTV is taking the world by storm. Everyone who sees it loves it and wants it, because the resolution is so high. The improvement in quality is noticeable. Everyone can see it. But the jump down from HDTV to standard UK TV is about the same as the jump down from standard UK TV to standard American TV. In other words, if you swap your regular TV for a 480-line plasma, you've done the exact opposite of getting HDTV. You've gone down in quality by the same amount getting HDTV would go up.

But then again, most people don't seem to care about resolution that much. If they did, no one in this country would buy 480 line TVs. And they sell by the bucketload! I feel so alone! :)

p.s. I have the 42PD5200 and it's utterly wonderful. The only fault I can find is that the blacks aren't quite as black as they could be. Other than that, you can't fault it!

15. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you look from 12ft+ at a 42" screen, the human eye cannot resolve more than
    appr. 485 pixels vertikal (1.78:1 image). With a 2.35:1 image it's even only 366 pixels.
    HD is nice, but only on closer viewing distance and/or larger screens, else it makes no sense.

Take a look at this table:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=5569005

16. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56