1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Panel or "TV"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cR4cKF0x 5TevE, Aug 22, 2005.

1. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Help, some advice/assistance would be much appreciated. :lease:

After reading some recent threads regarding the forthcoming Panasonic High Definition ready panels, I am now in a quandary as to whether I should purchase a 'panel only' or a TV.

At the moment I only watch TV through my Sky+ Box (my aerial reception is awful and 'local geography' means that I am not in a Freeview area). I only ever listen to TV programmes through my speaker system (the Sky+ Box is connected with an RGB only scart, no sound) and the DVD player is hooked up via component thus I obviously also listen to DVDs through the speaker system.

Having looked at some current Plasma offerings, the Panasonic PV500 range includes a freeview tuner and speakers, two features which, if my current usage is anything to go by, will be totally redundant. I also understand that the new Pioneer range incorporates a tuner in the media box, again, this would be redundant given my usage.

Therefore, should I go down the panel only route? I can't help thinking that it would be pointless paying for features that I will never use, I wouldn't do it with a car, so why do it with a TV? If so, what are my (HD) options: at the moment the only available HD plasma that I know of is the Panasonic PHD8 range, are there other offerings (from the likes of NEC, Fujitsu, etc.) and which, if any, would be the best option to proceed with?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I quite agree.........why buy all those bits that you don't need.......but although the pioneers do have tuners in their media box at least they are not taking useful space in the panel itself so are also worth a look, especially at £2,499 (Avland for example)

3. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah... if your budget is for it, then either the Pioneer 436 or the PHD8...