Help! Panasonic TX-40GX800B dark spot

Paolo1980

Novice Member
I have a recently new TV (2 years, old this Jan) and it has developed a dark patch just off centre to the left. I have attached a photo, which I hope can be seen. I've played with settings and it appears to not be stuck pixels. I'm curious if it's to do with my wife using a surface wipe to clean it, and she's taken off some of the coating? This only happened once and I've told her to only use a dry cloth since.

Any thoughts please, as it's driving me bonkers!

Thanks,
Paul
DSC_7843.JPG

mikej

The Consumer Rights Act (possibly in combination with the Limitation Act) potentially protects you for longer than 2 years. You have to contact the retailer as your contract is/was with them, not the manufacturer.

From MSE's guide How to complain...

3. More time to complain​

Over six months, and it's more important for you to prove the good or service was faulty when you bought it. Yet there's another piece of legislation called the Limitation Act (it's the Prescription and Limitation Act in Scotland) that can help you out.

This says you have up to six years to complain after you bought a good (five years in Scotland).

What to expect: Here, you have the same rights as above, ie, your choice of repair or replacement or a partial refund if this doesn’t work out. However, the partial refund can be reduced to take account of the use you’ve had of the item above and beyond six months, so you’ll get much less back if you’ve had something for five years rather than one year.

... and Which says "six months or more you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty"

Paolo1980

Novice Member
The Consumer Rights Act (possibly in combination with the Limitation Act) potentially protects you for longer than 2 years. You have to contact the retailer as your contract is/was with them, not the manufacturer.

From MSE's guide How to complain...

3. More time to complain​

Over six months, and it's more important for you to prove the good or service was faulty when you bought it. Yet there's another piece of legislation called the Limitation Act (it's the Prescription and Limitation Act in Scotland) that can help you out.

This says you have up to six years to complain after you bought a good (five years in Scotland).

What to expect: Here, you have the same rights as above, ie, your choice of repair or replacement or a partial refund if this doesn’t work out. However, the partial refund can be reduced to take account of the use you’ve had of the item above and beyond six months, so you’ll get much less back if you’ve had something for five years rather than one year.

... and Which says "six months or more you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty"
That's really useful, thanks so much for taking the time to reply

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Also with it switched off examine it carefully in case it was SWMBO and over-zealous cleaning as that isn’t covered under warranty.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks. So when it's switched off, what am I looking for?
If the coating has been damaged It should be obvious, examine it carefully close-up and at an angle and look for smears where it was wiped.
If there's nothing obvious then she is blameless 😂

Paolo1980

Novice Member
If the coating has been damaged It should be obvious, examine it carefully close-up and at an angle and look for smears where it was wiped.
If there's nothing obvious then she is blameless 😂
There's nothing obvious, other than a few basic smears, so I think she's in the clear?

I have been told by the shop I bought the TV from to contact Panasonic directly, does anyone know if this is correct?

mikej

I have been told by the shop I bought the TV from to contact Panasonic directly, does anyone know if this is correct?
There's more information on the Consumer Rights Act here : Consumer rights

Including the following...

"When returning items, beware shops trying the oldest trick in the book: saying they're not responsible for the shoddy goods and you must call the manufacturer. This is total nonsense!

If a company fobs you off by saying "go to the maker instead", it's wrong. It's the retailer's job to sort it.

It doesn't matter if it's an iPod from a high street shop or a designer frock from a department store. If something's broken, torn, ripped or faulty, the seller has a legal duty to put it right as your contract is with it."

mikej

In your case, I think any claim needs to be based on the fact that the TV hasn't lasted for a 'reasonable length of time'.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom