HELP! Panasonic 50" Plasma DVD B&W Trouble

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by BINGOBONGO, Dec 26, 2006.

1. BINGOBONGO

BINGOBONGO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone can help me -- I've been searching the internet for hours for an answer for this problem. I just bought the Panasonic-TH-50PX60U & the installers (very hastily!) "half-hooked" it up for us (no tivo hookup, no surround sound, etc). But I believe when they left, they did have the DVD player working (via a 3 component cable hooked up to the TV). But shortly afterwards, the DVD player began playing only in black & white, with no sound at all -- just buzzing. I disconnected it and connected instead to our Humax Tivo unit -- same exact problem. We bought a new 3 component wire thinking that was the problem -- but the problem is the same with that wire. Is it possible our plasma TV is broken and needs to be replaced? DVD's do play properly when connected via s-cable -- but we're not excited about losing video quality & can't understand why the 3-component cable isn't working. After the installer left the powerstrip fell out of the wall & everything had to be restarted -- don't know if that relates or not. Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

2. fingersburnt

fingersburnt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen this on my Panny when

1: I had the AV input set for S Video but was supplying RGB connection (the 3 wire)

2: The DVD was not set to output RGB - a simple menu change on the DVD fixed

3:The buzzing could be a poor seating of the cable connector - either end

Don't know if either are applicable in your case but worth checking

3. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,689
    1.Check if the component cables are seated properly in the slots.
    2.Can you try hooking up with a different DVD player ?
    3.If you have any SD card with pics or any camcorder try connecting it to your TV and check if the colors are appearing.
    4.Does your DVD player / TV support both PAL / NTSC ? Was the content recorded in a format that is not supported by your dvd player or TV ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Make sure DVD player is set to output Component YUV or YpbPr video if not then you will get B & W picture

5. BINGOBONGO

BINGOBONGO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES YES -- thanks a million for your help. It was indeed the settings on both the Tivo unit & the DVD player -- EZ fix. YIPEE