1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Overheating DVDs in DV89

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by davee, Sep 20, 2004.

1. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Has anybody else suffered from overheated dvds on a DV89? After an hour of playing the picture freezes intermittently to make it irritating, probably once every couple of minutes, after two hours it is unwatchable freezing and stuttering constantly. The picture then turns yucky green! Taking the dvd out and chilling it allows a further 10 minutes viewing time but what more or less fixes it is a couple of frozen ice packs laid on a tea towel on top of the unit. I cant believe this is an Arcam fix. The player is on a dedicated rack on a glass shelf independant of the AVR 200 beneath it, (which is not giving off loads of heat).
    Also when the picture background is static, vertical lines travelling from left to right are visible like a watery moire pattern, sometimes these change to a more amporpous shape and then appears to be a shadow text travelling across the screen as well, but I cant make it out. Help anyone, Arcam?
    PS no problems on CD

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I would contact your dealer and get the player repaired/replaced.. sounds knackered...
    I have a DV88+ and have never had issues like that.. and my player is used everyday (4 year olds disney discs :) )..

Good luck

Matt

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Erm, its new! Dealer suggested swopping positions of the avr 200 and dv89 which I will try, despite not wanting them in that position...however I'm not overly hopeful.

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have mine in a sounds unique rack with a roksan power amp on the bottom and my tag above the arcam... theres no way the discs should be coming out that hot.. nad the unit is never that warm when I use it..theres something not right there.. I would take the player out of the rack and stick it on the top..if its still doing the same thing (which I think it would) then go back to the dealer for a replacement.
    Is your cabinet enclosed? walls and back ? Have you taken the temp of inside your rack ?

Cheers
    Matt

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got those symptoms ocassionally with my DVD8, but only with copied DVD's, it was suggested to me [ I do not have definitive proof mind] that some unprinted or shiny DVD-R discs let more light pass thru them than a pucka printed region 1 or 2 dvd and consequently the laser needs more power to read the data back.

The reason seems plausible but I think it could be an old wives tale :)

My DVD8 eventually packed in BTW, with no video output.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Our DV89 also did this today and refused also to let the DVD disk out....The previous DV88+ worked fine in the same place......Many of the users reported that the DVD disks were coming out rather warm.......
    A call to Arcam on Monday for us......

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    well its getting worse despite being isolated from other heat sources. Watching 'The Beach' was like watching a slide show of holiday snaps. Its going back to the dealers tomorrow :rolleyes: