Help overclocking a i7 950

Berties

Banned
Any general settings/tips to overclocker a i7 950, Gigabte X58 UD3R, Noctua D14 cooler? Loads and loads of settings in BIOS,:eek: Little bit of experience with overclocking AMD's

Berties

Banned
Been playing around with settings, using gigabyte easy tune to 3.68ghz, run prime and at 80 degrees :-( I do have HT enabled. But should be lower with Noctua D14 both at full speed, and a very well ventilated case (3 front, 2 rear) Removed, cleaned and reapplied some paste and similar :-(

comomolo

Standard Member
The key to controlling the temperature is the voltage applied to the CPU (CPU Vcore is the name, inside Advanced Voltage Settings. If you can't find it, I'll look for some pictures). Replace "Auto" with a value around 1.30 V, then go up if not stable or down until unstable. The lower this value, the lower the temperature of the CPU.

Stability is tricky. Run Prime95. Serious stability issues arise in minutes. More subtle ones won't show before an overnight test run. Even more subtle ones will happen under normal use, so if everything goes right, just use your computer normally for a few days. If you don't get crashes you're good to go. If you do get some crash, just pump up the voltage a tiny little bit (the next entry in the list will be fine) and keep working normally with your computer.

Temperatures below 90º are OK for a Core i7 950 and the chip won't burn anyway (it will throttle first, then shut itself down if overheated). Throttle temps are around 100º. Of course, the CPU longevity will suffer the higher the temperatures, but running around 80º C at full load (Primer 95) is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

holtehero

Distinguished Member
Take a look here

Has lots of useful tips and settings

comomolo

Standard Member
Yeah, I pretty much wrote all of the above because I want to fry your CPU, just like I fried the dozens I've sold overclocked by now.

End of help.

Ted

I have this board also, 1.3 is not that high for vcore, I am at 3.8 for daily use with 1.25vcore, HT off, temps never go over 60 with an H50, the D14 should perform similarly so you may need to look into your temp issues further.

Few tips, never leave anything on auto, you should set all settings manually, especially voltages. I would do everything yourself and not use EasyTune as you don't actually know what it is doing and you could be overvolting.

This is one of the best guides I have come across:-
3 Step Overclocking Guide – Bloomfield and Gulftown | TechREACTION

You will also find the Gigabyte section of the Tweaktown forums has plenty of info and many users have templates for settings posted there if you want something to get you started.

Berties

Banned
ok what other manual voltage settings are there? and to what (standard) voltage, chipset, nb, sb, pci-e etc etc huge list in bios

Ted

Sounds like you are after settings to put in, borrowed this from elsewhere, should help.

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg

As you're running a 950 you may want a higher multiplier but not entirely necessary, odd number seem to work best, depends how high you want to go and what memory your are running. I use cpu multi of 19, qpi of 36, uncore of 17 and memory of 8 to run my memory at 1600Mhz and cpu at 3.8Ghz.

Too high a qpi/vtt can cause issues, I don't think you need to go as high as 1.3, 1.25ish works good for me, should be good for vcore also. Set ram voltage to manufacturers specs, if you are running more than one gpu set IOH to 1.24, more than one hdd set ICH to 1.2.

Exactly what settings are best will also depend on your ram, if you're running that OCZ 1600Mhz I think you have then my multi settings will do you well.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom