1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! or W800i going in bin soon!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by siwatkins, Aug 19, 2005.

1. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone help? Have got a nice shiny W800i, but my love affair with it is going to be short lived if I can't resolve getting music onto it easily!

My (PC) music is mostly in WMA lossless format, with a mixture of remaining files in MP3 format ranging from 320kbps, down to 128kbps files.

The provided Sony software disc2phone works fine in transferring the MP3 files, downsampling, and placing them on the phone just fine. However, disc2phone doesn't even see WMA files, so that's a non-starter for me.

The W800i is supposed to understand WMA though, so I thought I'll just use the Sync function in Windows Media Player 10. After a bit of a faff with it throwing server exceptions until I'd installed a DVD decoder (uh?), I managed to get it to downsample WMA lossless files to the W800i.

However, the W800i media player complains then that the files haven't been copied using the disc2phone software. Well duh, I can't do that because it doesn't even see WMA files!

I've used the same folder structure as Disc2phone uses, and the files are properly tagged.

How on earth am I supposed to get WMA files onto this thing? It took an age to rip everything to WMA lossless, and I have no intention of doing that again. Is the W800i a white elephant? Can it not support WMA files?

Am hoping that with some gadget minded audio people here, that someone will have sussed this. Without WMA support and an easy way of syncing files to the phone, the W800i is going to be useless to me.

Please help!

Simon

P.S. Having sorted out WMA player so that it will downsample WMA lossless, it has now decided that it can't downsample MP3 @ 320kpbs. Hmm, not a great experience so far!!!

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I've just got a 1 gig Memoy card for my K750i and am using 'All To MP3 Converter 1.55' from here.

As far as I know it doesn't support WMA Files.

You set the settings that you want for the MP3 and it takes just seconds to convert a track. It's also a shell extension which I like, so I can just browse my directories and select what I want. After converting I just drag and drop onto the memory card through a reader.

I don't know if this is the best software out there, and it's only a trial one, but it's doing the job for now.

If anyone knows of better free software, i'd be interested in knowing :smashin:

Giz.

3. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Prob is that I believe the W800I to natively support WMA from the blurb, and I'd like to use a synchronization method like that already provided in WMA Player.

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    is not possible to use a card reader and transfer files directly from pc to card ??

5. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jason, I can get the files on there OK, it just warns that the file can't be read, and that I should have used disc2phone (which doesn't see WMA files). On another forum, someone is telling me that the W800i doesn't support WMA. Which, whilst being of suck worthiness, means that I might be trying to do the impossible if true. Could have sworn I read a review that said it supported WMA though, which kind of sold me on the phone!

6. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i read a review on the phone recently and it metioned something about that i will try and find it!!

7. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

The other possibility (if it were possible!) would be to have WMP transcode to MP3 when syncing with the phone. Though I'm not sure that I can do that (certainly can't find an option anywhere...)

Simon

8. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hope this helps!!
    This organization system, which requires nothing more than copying the files over to the phone or Memory Stick in a reasonable order, is what makes the W800 a better music device than any other phone I have tried. I used an external card reader to copy music to the Memory Stick for the sake of simplicity. The files were organized in a directory structure formatted like artist/album with the individual tracks bearing the name of the song. The W800 recognized this immediately and loaded everything appropriately.

However, when I copied the files over into directories that combined the artist name and album name in one directory, the Walkman app complained and informed me that I should use the Disc2Phone software to load music onto the device. But I found the Disc2Phone software to be a pain to use. The UI is very restrictive, and it often ignores the order of the tracks that are dragged into it. If the ID3 tag information in your MP3 files is incomplete or inaccurate, you will have trouble. It can automatically resample/downsample MP3 files as they are being copied over to your Memory Stick card reader or phone, but that is about the only positive thing I have to say about it. I did better copying the files over myself manually.

9. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jason, thanks for the info, but the problem it would appear to be that neither it, nor the k750 support WMA natively. I'd blindly believed it from reading it somewhere, and I notice that retailer sites such as Expansys also mention that it supports WMA, which it would appear is false.

Simon

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Let's not forget that WMA is a microsoft proprietry format, and seeing that Sony and MS don't really get on at the moment (xbox and playstation being one example), it is doubtful that WMA is supported.

iPods also ignore the WMA format. Best bet is to convert the WMA's to mp3 format and then use disc2phone. I have a feeling the magazines are confusing WMA with WAV, which I believe the W800i CAN read.

11. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Kazman, Apple doesn't ignore the WMA format. They transcode from it to either AAC or MP3 in iTunes for the ipod, but they don't ignore it. I don't want to convert lossless WMA's to MP3, other than in an on the fly transcoding operation to the portable device - it's too painful, and I have too many lossless WMA files (6500+). Every time I wanted to move a different track to the phone, I'd have to resample to MP3 and then copy to the phone using disc2phone (as creating the folder structure manually would really suck). Either that, or I'd need to convert my entire collection to a lower bit rate MP3 set, and have it entirely duplicated. Every time I ripped a new track, I'd have to rip it twice - once for the hifi, and once for portable devices. It really is a sucky solution.

The best way that I've found, I've detailed here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236573

The lack of any response though leads me to believe that there aren't many people here dealing with high quality pc stored source material who also own portable devices ;)

Simon

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Heh heh, probably true.

I have a seperate 40GB Creative Zen Xtra plus for my lossless WMA's, so have yet to transfer any of those to the W800i, that link of yours will be helpful, ta very much :).

BTW, I said iPod (as in the device itself), not Apple or the software they provide for their little baby :), the amount MS would charge them to use the WMA format on the iPods would probably cost a fortune LOL! :rotfl:

13. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    One more thing that I'd forgotten about - Napster and Ericsson are reportedly getting it together to offer mobile users access to the Napster service.

The Napster library uses WMA DRM, so Sony Ericsson phones will have to support WMA eventually.

At the moment, the Sony Ericsson W800I offers no native support for either of the two biggest music download sites - itunes or napster. That seems sucky in the extreme, and I can't see how they can qualify the phone with the Walkman tag whilst that is the case.

Simon