1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: options for connecting an Optoma H50

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kyber, Feb 4, 2003.

1. kyber

Standard Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have just purchased an Optoma H50 (£1900 with £100 off voucher) from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Wolverhampton (a new franchise location and very helpful staff IMHO). My wife and I tested out the unit we purchased against a much more expensive Sim projector and some plasma screens using our own DVDs and were very happy with the Optoma. A screen has also been ordered.

I am now faced with how best to connect this up and look to the collective knowledge here to assist. Our primary interest is watching films on DVD but I would like to be able to view other source material at the best available quality as well.

I wish to connect the following:

Toshiba 210E DVD: Component or RGsB SCART
    XBox: RGsB SCART
    Freeview Digital decoder (Pace): RGsB SCART
    Nicam VCR: RGsB SCART

I have a Denon AVR3802 AV amp which can switch component video (two in one out).

The Optoma has 15 d-sub SVGA/RGB/Component, DVI, S-video, Video input sockets. I want just one cable.

A fellow CIXen (http://www.conferencing.co.uk) suggested the following configuration:

DVD component ---> Denon Amp
    All other source devices ---> SCART switcher
    --->SCART/Component convertor ---> Denon Amp

and then connect the component out of the Denon Amp to the projector. Use the amp to select between "DVD" and "Other" sources (using LR audio from SCART switcher IF no digital source available).

Is this a sensible approach?

Any recommendations on best model/supplier of:
    a) auto SCART switcher with remote
    b) SCART/Component convertor
    c) Long (5M+) component to 15 d-sub cable (actually, my be better to use a short lead to a component socket on the wall)

Also, would there be any value in a box to convert the final component output from the above into a scaled progressive scan image?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.