HELP Onkyo 875 and Optoma HD65

Blu4KHD

As above Guys i need serious help i cannot get the 875 and H65 to sync with my EP35, If i turn on the HD EP35 then the Onkyo 875 i can get them to sync no problem but as soon as i turn on the Projector it loses signal this is barmy and looks like the amp is going back.

1. HD EP35 direct to projector No Problem Picture

2. PS3 direct to projector No Problem Picture

3. Both going through 875 loses signal and no picture

Please some one help am on the P*** now so heres hoping.

jon1

As above Guys i need serious help i cannot get the 875 and H65 to sync with my EP35, If i turn on the HD EP35 then the Onkyo 875 i can get them to sync no problem but as soon as i turn on the Projector it loses signal this is barmy and looks like the amp is going back.

1. HD EP35 direct to projector No Problem Picture

2. PS3 direct to projector No Problem Picture

3. Both going through 875 loses signal and no picture

Please some one help am on the P*** now so here's hoping.

1..turn the pj on first then the ep35

2..put the film in the ep35 let it load passed play

3..then turn the amp on ..if it dose not connect strait way turn amp of and try again

happy new year

jon

Blu4KHD

Thanks for the reply jon 2 have again tried your suggestion even with a sore head LOL and this will still not play ball as soon as i take out the hdmi lead from the projector the amp locks onto the ep35 immediatley and then when i plug it back in the amp has a hissy fit and reports no signal and the ep35 front panel display shows thw HDMI logo flashing on and off and switches between 1080i and 1080p.

Anyone else any suggestions before i take the amp back tommorrow as i am seriously getting cheesed off now and wished i had have gone with my gut instinct and bought the Denon 3808.

Just to add the amp does have the 'p' on the serial no. and i have tried various HDMI leads as well, I am starting to think the amp is buggered LOL

jon1

Thanks for the reply Jon 2 have again tried your suggestion even with a sore head LOL and this will still not play ball as soon as i take out the hdmi lead from the projector the amp locks onto the ep35 immediately and then when i plug it back in the amp has a hissy fit and reports no signal and the ep35 front panel display shows thw HDMI logo flashing on and off and switches between 1080i and 1080p.

Anyone else any suggestions before i take the amp back tomorrow as i am seriously getting cheesed off now and wished i had have gone with my gut instinct and bought the Denon 3808.

Just to add the amp does have the 'p' on the serial no. and i have tried various HDMI leads as well, I am starting to think the amp is buggered LOL

Hi digicon

Why are you taking the HDMI lead out of the pj ?you are losing the HDMI hand shake..more info please

jon

Blu4KHD

Hi digicon

Why are you taking the HDMI lead out of the pj ?you are losing the HDMI hand shake..more info please

jon

Hi Jon,

This is the only time the amp will lock on with the EP35 as soon as i turn the projector the amp has a hissy fit, I did exactly what you said

Turn PJ on first then ep35 and let a disc load until it was playing then i turned the amp on and it says no signal so tried again and left the amp off a few seconds and then switched on again and once again no signal, Now here is the strange part if disconnet the HDMI lead form projector the amp locks onto the EP35 within seconds and also my PS3 no problem but as soon as i put the lead back in BANG no signal.

This is strange because i can get the Onkyo setup menu to display on the projector with no DVD or PS3 turned on, but as soon as i turn on the EP35 or PS3 again no signal.

If i connect the EP35 and PS3 directly into the projector i get a picture no problem at all, From what i can gather this is a Handshake problem between the EP35-Amp-HD65 projector.

Looks like its back to the shop and try the denon.

jon1

Hi Jon,

This is the only time the amp will lock on with the EP35 as soon as i turn the projector the amp has a hissy fit, I did exactly what you said

Turn PJ on first then ep35 and let a disc load until it was playing then i turned the amp on and it says no signal so tried again and left the amp off a few seconds and then switched on again and once again no signal, Now here is the strange part if disconnect the HDMI lead form projector the amp locks onto the EP35 within seconds and also my PS3 no problem but as soon as i put the lead back in BANG no signal.

This is strange because i can get the Onkyo setup menu to display on the projector with no DVD or PS3 turned on, but as soon as i turn on the EP35 or PS3 again no signal.

If i connect the EP35 and PS3 directly into the projector i get a picture no problem at all, From what i can gather this is a Handshake problem between the EP35-Amp-HD65 projector.

ARE you using the upscaler in the amp?if you are then set the resolution in the ps3 and the ep35 to a Lowe resolution output ..sounds as if you are getting conflicts..too many upscalers

jon

sdb123

Distinguished Member
I always turn my pj on first, then when it has booted up I switch on the 875, when that has booted up I then select the relevant input and turn the source on (i.e. XE1, PS3, etc).

Hope this helps.

Steve

jon1

Hi Jon,

Turn PJ on first then ep35 and let a disc load until it was playing then i turned the amp on and it says no signal so tried again and left the amp off a few seconds and then switched on again and once again no signal, Now here is the strange part if disconnet the HDMI lead form projector the amp locks onto the EP35 within seconds and also my PS3 no problem but as soon as i put the lead back in BANG no signal.

go into the settings in the amp and look in HDMI monitor..under that theres is resolution through..if is not set to that change to that ...that will turn the upscaler of

jon

jon1

I always turn my pj on first, then when it has booted up I switch on the 875, when that has booted up I then select the relevant input and turn the source on (i.e. XE1, PS3, etc).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve i think he is getting conflicts with all these upscalers turned on

jon

Blu4KHD

Thanks for the replys Jon and sdb123.

Jon yes i do have monitor out set to yes and resolution set to through as i am only watching HD DVD and Blu ray so i do not require the amp to do any upscaling, As far as i can tell the amp just does not like the Optoma HD65 and i bought this because of the HDMI 1.3 capability it is just not getting the handshake right

jon1

Thanks for the replys Jon and sdb123.

Jon yes i do have monitor out set to yes and resolution set to through as i am only watching HD DVD and Blu ray so i do not require the amp to do any upscaling, As far as i can tell the amp just does not like the Optoma HD65 and i bought this because of the HDMI 1.3 capability it is just not getting the handshake right

bugger:(

jon

Blu4KHD

Thanks anyway jon for all the help i have now boxed up the 875 and will be taking it back tomorrow and then get either the denon or the yamaha like i should have done in the first place, But as usual i got it at a good price and maybe the price clouded my judgement after reading about all the problems with the HDMI handshake on here so i relented and thought what the hell i will give it a whirl.

Never mind lesson learned:)

shogun

Digicon,

I don't think that your amp is purely at fault here and there is definitely a HDMI conflict between the HD65 and your 875.

I have a similar problem your are experiencing when trying to pass a HDMI signal from my Samsung BDP1400 blu ray player thro my 605 into the HD65 projector, where the amp will not latch onto the signal.

When replacing the HD65 with my old SP4805 projector via the HDMI connection the Blu Ray player and 605 Amp passes thro picture and sound perfectly and there appears to be no problems.

If you got another HD TV or projector with HDMI connection that you can try to see if your 875 Amp works and that the HD65 is partly at fault with your problem.

On a separate note that I got my PS3 Hooked up via the 605 and HD65 projector thro HDMI where the picture and sound is fantastic.

Just ordered a EP35 , keeping my fingers crossed that there will not be a HDMI compatibility issue between the 605 and HD65 that i am currently getting with my Samsung Blu Ray Player.

jon1

Thanks anyway Jon for all the help i have now boxed up the 875 and will be taking it back tomorrow and then get either the denon or the Yamaha like i should have done in the first place, But as usual i got it at a good price and maybe the price clouded my judgement after reading about all the problems with the HDMI handshake on here so i relented and thought what the hell i will give it a whirl.

Sorry to here that ..and here is the big BUT do think these other amps will solve the problem? you have with the HDMI handshake on the pj

1.. question have you tried normal DVDs?

shogun

Thanks anyway jon for all the help i have now boxed up the 875 and will be taking it back tomorrow and then get either the denon or the yamaha like i should have done in the first place, But as usual i got it at a good price and maybe the price clouded my judgement after reading about all the problems with the HDMI handshake on here so i relented and thought what the hell i will give it a whirl.

Might be useful taking the HD65 with you tomorrow and asking the shop sales person if they can hook up their Denon or Yamaha demo amps with a HD feed to ensure that there is no HDMI issues as well with these Amps and your HD65 projector.

My suspicion is that the HD65 could be at fault with your HDMI handshake issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Blu4KHD

Shogun and Jon

Shogun tried the amp and PS3 and EP35 on my Pioneer 507 and what do you know Voila picture came on, Back to the projector and again the 875 is having a hissy fit.

looks like to me the H65 will not co operate with the 875 but the H65 if you connect the EP35 and PS3 directly it locks in within a couple of seconds no problem which tells me its the 875 does not like the H65.

So as suggested i will take the PJ with me and try it on the denon and yamaha which to me and the reports i have read do not seem to have as much of the Handshake problems as the Onkyo's do.

Fingers Crossed.

jon1

Shogun and Jon

Shogun tried the amp and PS3 and EP35 on my Pioneer 507 and what do you know Voila picture came on, Back to the projector and again the 875 is having a hissy fit.

looks like to me the H65 will not co operate with the 875 but the H65 if you connect the EP35 and PS3 directly it locks in within a couple of seconds no problem which tells me its the 875 does not like the H65.

So as suggested i will take the PJ with me and try it on the denon and Yamaha which to me and the reports i have read do not seem to have as much of the Handshake problems as the Onkyo's do.

Fingers Crossed.

good look:thumbsup:

Jon

shogun

Seems like you are now making progress identifying your root of the problem.

What are the AV manufacturers stance with regards to replacing, exchanging or upgrading their equipment if you encounter the HDMI handshake issue ?

Could the manufactures blame each others products due to the in compatibility ?

Not sure if there is a dedicated thread posted on this forum, but maybe people should start listing their equipment where there is a HDMI handshake conflict.

Might email Optoma & Onkyo UK to inform them that there is a HDMI compatibility problem with their products.

Digicon, I still think that the HD65 is the culprit here and hopefully your testing at the AV shop tomorrow can shred so more light on the matter.

Keep us all posted.

Thanks
Shogun.

Graham N

Hi,
I am having similar problems with my set-up.

Pioneer 507xd plasma, Sharp XVZ1000 pj (dvi-hdmi adaptor)
Onkyo 905
PS3, Tosh EP35, Sky HD and Sony HXD860 DVD/HD recorder,

All source components work fine and lock on instantly with the Pioneer 508XD.
Sky works fine through the Sharp PJ
The Sony works most of the time.
The Tosh HD and PS3 are the biggest problems. I have tried switching things on in different orders but most of the time the hdmi indicator on the amp flashes and occasionally there is a pop of sound through the speakers.

The discs don't seem to be loading while this is happening.(Is this possible?) I can get the PS3 and Tosh HD to work by using the hdmi out button on the amp. If I select the pioneer output (hdmi main) or hdmi 'off' the sound signal locks on. I then reselect the hdmi sub output and this 'usually' works.

I have tried the hdmi outs both ways. (main to plasma, sub to pj and the other way). The problem is always with the pj.

Note. The Tosh HD was connected directly to the PJ before getting the Onkyo and I had to turn the Tosh off and on to get it to lock on. I didn't try the PS3 directly as it was connected by component at the time.

Also, one other thing I noticed is that my input on the PJ is saying 'digital signal RGB'. If I select 'digital signal component' as an option the picture goes green and pink.

Does anyone know if there is a discrete code to switch the Onkyo hdmi outs via a pronto. (if so, how do you get them to work). Its a pain having to crawl around on the floor in the dark to select the hdmi manually.

As the problem seems to be with the PJ, will changing the amp to a Denon for example solve the problem? Will changing the PJ to either a Sharp XVZ21000 or Infocus in82 also cure it?

Graham

Blu4KHD

Hi Graham,

I see you are having similar problems to myself with the Onkyo, Just curious do your Tosh EP35 and PS3 connected directly to the sharp projector by HDMI work OK as mine do and so i related my problem to the Onkyo as you have a sharp projector and i have the Optoma i think narrowing down the source is now coming down to the Onkyo receivers.

Just to let you all know i will be testing my Optoma HD65 and EP35 on friday with the Denon 3808 and Yamaha 3800, And of course will update this post once tests are over.

Graham N

Hi Digicon,

I played around a bit more last night. The PS3 direct to the PJ works and stayed locked on. The EP35 worked but I had to switch it off and on again.

With both the PS3 and the EP35 going through the Onkyo I can get both to work 'most' of the time by doing the following. Selecting HDMI out on the amp to 'off' or 'main' (Pioneer 507 is connected to main). This allows the disc activity to take place. then I switch to HDMI 'sub' (connected to PJ). This is after starting the sequence with 'sub' output on first of all and only switching to the other options if it fails to lock on

I found that when the amp is trying to lock on and I get the HDMI flickering on and off in the display on the amp it causes the disc activity in the PS3 or EP35 to stop. I make sure the sound is turned down low at this stage because sometimes the speakers pop mildly while trying to lock on. When I select the HDMI 'off' or 'main' settings I can press play or enter on the player to start the disc going again, this is when I then try switching the output back to 'sub' (PJ). This usuallly works.

Last night I watched a film all the way through via the PS3. When I pressed stop I lost the signal again.

I received an e-mail from where I purhased the Onkyo and they said turn the PS3 or EP35 on last after having the amp switched to the correct input and the PJ on. They also suggested my problem might be because I am using DVI input on the PJ with an HDMI/DVI adaptor and it might not be full HDCP compliant???

What is the latest with your own situation? Have you tried a Denon yet to see if it cures your problems?

Graham

Blu4KHD

Hi Jon 2, Shogun, Graham N.

Well just got back form my dealer after a 3 hour testing session and the results are as follows.

1. HD EP35 + Onkyo 875 + Optoma HD65 = Does Not Work ( No HDMI Handshake)

2. HD EP35 + Denon 3808 + Optoma HD65 = Worked Flawlessly (Success)

3. HD EP35 + Yamaha 3800 + Optoma HD65 = Worked Flawlessly (Success)

The conclusion appears to be that the EP35 and Optoma HD65 with the Onkyo 875 are having handshake issues as the HD65 will output the Onkyo On Screen Display without a problem it is only when the EP35 or another HDMI component is thrown into the mix that this upsets the Onkyo.

My own conclusion would be any owners of the Optoma HD65 looking to purchase one of the New HD audio Receivers should think long and hard and even test the amp with the PJ before purchase.

On a final note after the Demo and testing session i am now a proud owner of the Yamaha 3800:thumbsup: IMO the Yamaha felt and looked more solid than the denon and had a better sound remember just IMO.

Hope this Info helps future Amp and PJ owners.:)

shogun

Digicon,

I am glad you have now identified the problem and are happy with your new Yamaha amp.:)

The results make some interesting reading,especially people looking to future upgrade their AV gear by means of utilizing this HDMI technology, that not all manufactures HDMI equipment is currently compatible with each other.

Like you say a demo < where possible > would not only let potential buyers, judge sound & picture quality, but may also give them some piece of mind that there will be no HDMI conflict on their purchase.

On a separate matter for the relative cheap price for a 720p projector, what do you think of the performance on your HD65 now it works in combination with your new Yam amp.

jon1

Hi Jon 2, Shogun, Graham N.

Well just got back form my dealer after a 3 hour testing session and the results are as follows.

1. HD EP35 + Onkyo 875 + Optoma HD65 = Does Not Work ( No HDMI Handshake)

2. HD EP35 + Denon 3808 + Optoma HD65 = Worked Flawlessly (Success)

3. HD EP35 + Yamaha 3800 + Optoma HD65 = Worked Flawlessly (Success)

The conclusion appears to be that the EP35 and Optoma HD65 with the Onkyo 875 are having handshake issues as the HD65 will output the Onkyo On Screen Display without a problem it is only when the EP35 or another HDMI component is thrown into the mix that this upsets the Onkyo.

My own conclusion would be any owners of the Optoma HD65 looking to purchase one of the New HD audio Receivers should think long and hard and even test the amp with the PJ before purchase.

On a final note after the Demo and testing session i am now a proud owner of the Yamaha 3800:thumbsup: IMO the Yamaha felt and looked more solid than the denon and had a better sound remember just IMO.

Hope this Info helps future Amp and PJ owners.:)

ENJOY:thumbsup:

JON

Blu4KHD

ENJOY:thumbsup:

JON

Thanks Jon 2 i intend too:thumbsup:

On a separate matter for the relative cheap price for a 720p projector, what do you think of the performance on your HD65 now it works in combination with your new Yam amp.

Not had a chance to set it up yet but i am looking forward to a hassle free HDMI experience:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022