Help on Upgrading my All-in-one system to AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zamansf, Jan 11, 2012.

1. zamansf

zamansf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am Newbee here so please bear with me...
    I am trying to find a cost effective method of upgrading my surround sound cinema system so that I can enhance the audio and video experience.
    I currently have Philips all in one DVD Surround sound system that does the job but just don't have enough input for my other devices. It is getting old and I can't spend too much on a new system.

What I would like to do:
    Sony Full HD TV kdl40w5500 has 4 HDMI. The One Optical out that will feed the Av receiver

DVD Surround sound system don't need it any more so will keep the speakers for the AV receiver

Samsung Blue-ray player directly to the AV receiver

Xbox 360 Not the Slim one direct to the TV then sound back to AV receiver by Optical when Full on Sound is required.

Virgin HD Box will connect to the TV by HD cable and sound from the TV will feed back to the AV receiver by Optical cable when required?

Sky standard Box will connect to the TV directly by scart cable

PC with DVI converted to HDMI and COAX for sound to my Av receiver.

I know I could connect all the devices to the AV receiver but that would mean I have to have the receiver on all the time. I may not like full on sound all the time that's all.

Can you please help me understand what I have suggested will work or not.

The current Philips DVD surround sound system is the HTS Model like the Picture on this link: http://pan.fotovista.com/dev/3/3/02592333/g_02592333.jpg

I wanted to keep my surround sound speakers that came with the DVD player. I was going to cut the end of the wire and connect it to an AV receiver. My main concern is the Sub Connection. The Av receiver Takes Phono like connection. I may have to convert the end to match that. If that is possible I probably will go for one of the below.

I have seen few Budget range AV receiver such as ONKYO TXSR309 for £179 or Pioneer VSX421V-K 5.1 Channel HDMI 3D AV Receiver with HD Audio in Black for £164 and also Yamaha RXV371BL for £179.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before I go ahead with this Idea. The sound that comes out of my current system I do enjoy. I only loose quality when it is coming from another device indirectly etc...

Also which above AV system is the best for the money?

Thank you for any help that can be given.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    I'm afraid the chances are, the speakers will not be able to be used with an AV Receiver. Check the rear of the speakers and in the specifications section of your manual and look for the impedance rating (ohms). All-in-one home cinema systems usually come with low impedance rated speakers (<4ohms). The subwoofer is passive and will definitely not be able to be used.

Also don't butcher the system. Sell it on or give it away. It would be a waste to cut the plugs off the speakers rendering it useless.

I'm afraid your only option would therefore be to upgrade both amp (receiver) and speakers. The likes of Onkyo HTX-22HDX (plus optional centre and rears) or the HTS-5405 would be a good place to start. There are similar systems consisting of amp and speakers from the likes of Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer. Check PeterTyson as they stock a number of them.

Yamaha AV71
    Onkyo HTS5405
    Denon DHT1312XP
    Pioneer HTP101

3. zamansf

zamansf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a grate advice. It looks like I may have to spend more money..lol
    I have seen Onkyo HTS3405 on Richer sound. Is that any good?

4. neoELITE

neoELITE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm a massive gamer (I'm actually just 5ft 11 so not that massive) and the system of choice based upon the four that davepuma linked to would be the Denon; it always gets rave reviews from gamers as it seems to suit videogames better than anything else.

5. zamansf

zamansf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I wish I had that much money to spend. I am thinking of getting a basic system like Yamaha AV71.
    Does anyone know much about this model. Is it any good or can someone suggest anything cheaper?

6. neoELITE

neoELITE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I bought the system from Bestbuy last year for £199.99 delivered but it was paired with this speaker system at the time
    Yamaha NSP285 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Here's my thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...81447-budget-set-up-best-buy-under-200-a.html

7. zamansf

zamansf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do Like the sound of that. I can see the speaker under £100 but the receiver you mentioned is not there. Cheapest receiver I found was for £179, that as you know works out to be £279 with one year warranty. However I love the idea davepuma gave me about the Yamaha AV71. That comes with 2years warranty. I do like that. All I need to know now is how good is that system or are there any cheaper?
    Thank you for you reply.

8. zamansf

zamansf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have come to a conclusion. I have option of two systems. YAMAHA YHT196: £249, Pioneer HTP071: £249.
    Can someone please advice me on which system I should go for and why?

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. neoELITE

neoELITE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    There's a recent thread about the Yamaha
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...a-yht196-5-1-av-amp-speakers-3d-199-99-a.html

The Pioneer isn't 3D ready but if that doesn't interest you, there's not much between the two set-ups. I can't find much about the Pioneer online but that's not to say it won't do exactly what you want.

Personally, I'd go for the Yamaha as I've heard it (although not with that set of speakers and my version is called YHT-294 so I'm not sure it's exactly the same amp). It is more than loud enough for a large room and although you do need the sub on with the satellite speakers (there aren't many small speakers that give good bass anyway), the speakers are far better than most all-in-one DVD players I've heard. If it's music you want to play through it, look elsewhere and make sure you have at least £1000 to spend but if it's gaming, TV and movies, it will provide a very solid entry level solution.

If you've never owned an amp with speakers before, you'll be in love with it as soon as you power it up for the first time - I was and I was sceptical that such a cheap system could meet my expectations.