Help on upgrading graphics

ashwin89

Established Member
Reaction score
Current system specs:

- AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3GHz
- 2x Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2 2GB RAM (4GB total)
- Compucase 350W PSU
- MSI-7309 Motherboard (has a PSI-E x16 slot)
- Integrated graphics - GeForce 6150SE
- 500GB HDD

Okay, so I'm not looking at changing the motherboard, processor, memory, HDD or case.

The GPU + PSU on the other hand needs to be upgraded. It's a family PC, so the current specs have been fine up to now, but I've decided to get back into PC gaming a little, hence the upgrades needed. Looking at mainly strategy games, but I want the option to play an FPS or two on medium settings.

Done some reading on the forums and at the moment I'm looking at a MSI GeForce 460 GTX 768MB (£126) and a Storm Silent 700W PSU (£23) both from Scan. Total cost is £157 inc. delivery.

So does this sound a decent option or would a ATI Radeon 5770 be better? I have a feeling I'm going to be told to buy a better branded PSU. :) I'm a student on a budget, so £157 is already too much, if it's going to cost any more then I'll just make do with my 360. Also will I need to worry about cooling with the new GPU + PSU? Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Honestly, those are good picks really. Yes you could get a better PSU, but that'll do. Also anything considerably better than that graphics card will probably be held back by the rest of the system - so go for that, good choice I'd say!

Thanks for your reply.

The only other concern was the extra heat due to adding a graphics card. Should it be okay as is, or do I 'need' to think about cooling options?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom