Question Help on upgrade from a TX-L42FT60B 42" Smart VIERA LED TV

pop80_uk

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,
Some advice please, I have a Panasonic TX-L42FT60B 42" Smart VIERA LED TV, which has been very good (and still is)

But I feel like I am missing out on the 4K action.

My only real search must is that is must be 42 - 44" and no bigger.

I have narrowed down my search to only one TV so far the: Sony KD43XG8196BU 43"

Question is, is this a worthy upgrade?

Is there a better TV?

I would have liked to have stayed with Panasonic but it seems like they only make 40" TVs now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Stick with what you have - decent TVs now start at 49”, and you need to sit really close to notice the improved resolution/detail.

jman67

Banned
I just think 50" would probably take over the room, we did not want the TV to become a centre piece of the room, so were trying to stay at 43"

Does 50" mean a better TV?

Bigger doesn't mean better, but sounds like you might quite like a GX800 (GX820 at currys) if you like Panasonic. There size range is 40" or 50" though

jman67

Banned
I just think 50" would probably take over the room, we did not want the TV to become a centre piece of the room, so were trying to stay at 43"

Does 50" mean a better TV?

Also... very likely if you have a 42" that it has a really thick border that a 50" GX800 wouldn't have meaning it takes up less space

Dodgexander

You aren't missing out on much going for a 43" UHD TV. They only make lower range models at that size.

The best you'll find is the 40" GX800 but you can expect to pay top dollar for the sake of it, and its still not that great with HDR.

There are mid range models at 55" that are priced better than the 40 GX800.

Just released my new guide: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

pop80_uk

Distinguished Member
You aren't missing out on much going for a 43" UHD TV. They only make lower range models at that size.

The best you'll find is the 40" GX800 but you can expect to pay top dollar for the sake of it, and its still not that great with HDR.

There are mid range models at 55" that are priced better than the 40 GX800.

Just released my new guide: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Thanks,
I will read your guide with interest :lesson:

So basically the best option is to keep my current TV?

I might have to consider a 50" set at some stage by the looks of it.

Thanks again.

Dodgexander

Thanks,
I will read your guide with interest :lesson:

So basically the best option is to keep my current TV?

I might have to consider a 50" set at some stage by the looks of it.

Thanks again.
It depends what you use with the new TV and what panel type you are shopping for with a new TV.

Your Panasonic will be using an IPS type, so wide viewing angles, but poor contrast and blacks.

So in that respect, if you were to move to a TV now with a VA type pane and you enjoy watching in the dark you will notice a new TV is an improvement with blacks and contrast with all content.

Or

If you were wanting an improvement over your TV with motion, but want to keep with an IPS type panel, you could pay a small fortune for the Sony XG83 series, which at 43" is using a 120hz panel. You'll get better motion, but similar contrast and blacks.

Apart from those two scenarios, the only other benefit you can find by changing TVs to another 43" one will be better colours, but that will only be paramount if you use HDR and HDR reproduction on TVs at this size is very poor. In this unlikely scenario, if you planned on watching HDR material on a small TV you could pick up something like a Hisense B7500, pair it with Dolby Vision HDR material on UHD Blu-Ray, Netlfix or Apple TV and find the TV has better colours, but only with HDR content...or if you wanted support also for HDR10+ you'd need to opt for the much more expensive Panasonic GX800 at 40" or Philips 7 series, the latter of which I'm not sure which panel type it uses :rolleyes:

But thats just complicated babble, in short, it depends what you use with the TV, if you can give more detail on that I can probably help you more definitively, in a scenario where you plan on utilising the aforementioned sources you can get a benefit, as you will if you plan on changing the TV to a TV with a VA type panel.

pop80_uk

Distinguished Member
It depends what you use with the new TV and what panel type you are shopping for with a new TV.

Your Panasonic will be using an IPS type, so wide viewing angles, but poor contrast and blacks.

So in that respect, if you were to move to a TV now with a VA type pane and you enjoy watching in the dark you will notice a new TV is an improvement with blacks and contrast with all content.

Or

If you were wanting an improvement over your TV with motion, but want to keep with an IPS type panel, you could pay a small fortune for the Sony XG83 series, which at 43" is using a 120hz panel. You'll get better motion, but similar contrast and blacks.

Apart from those two scenarios, the only other benefit you can find by changing TVs to another 43" one will be better colours, but that will only be paramount if you use HDR and HDR reproduction on TVs at this size is very poor. In this unlikely scenario, if you planned on watching HDR material on a small TV you could pick up something like a Hisense B7500, pair it with Dolby Vision HDR material on UHD Blu-Ray, Netlfix or Apple TV and find the TV has better colours, but only with HDR content...or if you wanted support also for HDR10+ you'd need to opt for the much more expensive Panasonic GX800 at 40" or Philips 7 series, the latter of which I'm not sure which panel type it uses :rolleyes:

But thats just complicated babble, in short, it depends what you use with the TV, if you can give more detail on that I can probably help you more definitively, in a scenario where you plan on utilising the aforementioned sources you can get a benefit, as you will if you plan on changing the TV to a TV with a VA type panel.

Thank you for this brill response! :smashin:

The TV is in our front room, its our main TV.

Its connected to a Virgin Tivo box and a PS4 Pro.

Its mainly used to watch TV and we watch a film now and again and play on the play station once or twice a year.

The TV is in the corner of the room and has a sofa to the side and front of it.

The reason for thinking of upgrading was mainly to take advantage of all the praise for 4K quality and lots of friends saying we should upgrade so we can watch 4K films.
I have no idea how much improved these are to regular blurays though.

Thanks for your help and excellent explanations.

Dodgexander

Regular TV on Virgin won't look any better on an UHD model, in fact it may even look a little worse as it needs to be upscaled more.

The PS4 pro will look very good as its a high quality source, but you may have troubles using HDR on certain games since smaller TVs don't come with very capable HDR hardware. That may mean just needing to turn off HDR on the PS4 Pro if you get trouble.

Some games now are included settings where you can adjust the peak brightness of HDR, so if a game includes this you can adjust HDR a bit to alleviate these issues somewhat.

In terms of HDR and UHD video, well if you want to use UHD Blu-Rays compared to FHD Blu-Rays you'll get a small upgrade, but you'll want to use titles that match the format support of the TV, so if you buy a Hisense model like the B7500 with Dolby Vision support, you'll want to use movies that include this HDR data.

Its the same with streaming services.

So its worth it, but only slightly so and only if you are prepared to use newer, higher quality content compared to before...and you'll have to accept the limitations of using a smaller TV with HDR which means sometimes you can come across issues.

I made a recent thread about HDR here: All about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

You'll notice I haven't mention UHD much, well that is because you won't really see much of a benefit, if at all compared to FHD on small screen sizes. I myself own a 43" UHD model and prefer my older 42" Panasonic HD plasma to it overall. You really will need to sit close to a 43" TV to get the full benefit of extra pixels. As much as 4x closer than recommended with HD.

pop80_uk

Distinguished Member
Regular TV on Virgin won't look any better on an UHD model, in fact it may even look a little worse as it needs to be upscaled more.

The PS4 pro will look very good as its a high quality source, but you may have troubles using HDR on certain games since smaller TVs don't come with very capable HDR hardware. That may mean just needing to turn off HDR on the PS4 Pro if you get trouble.

Some games now are included settings where you can adjust the peak brightness of HDR, so if a game includes this you can adjust HDR a bit to alleviate these issues somewhat.

In terms of HDR and UHD video, well if you want to use UHD Blu-Rays compared to FHD Blu-Rays you'll get a small upgrade, but you'll want to use titles that match the format support of the TV, so if you buy a Hisense model like the B7500 with Dolby Vision support, you'll want to use movies that include this HDR data.

Its the same with streaming services.

So its worth it, but only slightly so and only if you are prepared to use newer, higher quality content compared to before...and you'll have to accept the limitations of using a smaller TV with HDR which means sometimes you can come across issues.

I made a recent thread about HDR here: All about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

You'll notice I haven't mention UHD much, well that is because you won't really see much of a benefit, if at all compared to FHD on small screen sizes. I myself own a 43" UHD model and prefer my older 42" Panasonic HD plasma to it overall. You really will need to sit close to a 43" TV to get the full benefit of extra pixels. As much as 4x closer than recommended with HD.

Thank you so much for your time, comments and effort to help me.

I think it will probably be sensible to just stick with my existing TV for the moment, based on your comments.

Again thanks, appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom