Help on the final three!

Which TV...

• Total voters

Rusk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've come here to ask what I am sure many many many people ask...which TV?!

I have a need for a new TV and I'm stuck between two great options which seem to be consistently rated as top tier. Pricing isn't too much of a factor as I rarely buy a new TV so I make sure I get the right one each time. I'm looking at 55".

There are two major things I want to cover off, 120Hz FPS as I have an Xbox series X and then getting the highest quality I can as I watch UHD via Sky Q and 4K on Netflix, etc.

From reading through this forum and also looking at many videos online I still find myself stuck as to which to go for. I feel like the LG G2 is leading the way as I'm impressed with the 1ms response time (really good for gaming) along with the FPS but I'm struggling to confirm if you can get it with a stand as they all seem to be the wall mounted gallery edition that I can find. I've seen that the stand is optional but never actually seen it anywhere to buy. The Samsung S95B is a close second being beautifully slim and has the same FPS although 6.5ms response time isn't as good but still ok. The S95B is a good chunk cheaper too which, although I said pricing isn't an issue, is worth adding back in if the difference between the two is negligible.

Only other thing to mention is that although I have a Sony at the moment which has been fantastic I can't look at them this time around as my TV stand won't fit their current stand designs being the feet at either far ends of the TV. Although I'm getting a new TV past the wife new furniture won't fly!

Thanks in advance all!

I think you are getting mixed up. Response time is the time the TV's pixels can change from one colour or shade to another, OLEDs all have next to no response time due to their instant pixel response time. Since they have such low times, the TVs have no motion blur. Higher times would make for more motion blur/

Input lag however is the delay between you pressing an input and the TV showing that input has been registered.

Anything less than 60>ms input lag on a TV is already good.

Do not choose a TV based on its specifications, they are often incorrect or at best, overestimated based on the absolute best conditions. Instead compare figures from reviews and tests of each TV.

Both Samsung and LG OLED TVs have very good response times which means neither TV will show much, if any motion blur.

The LG G2 does not come with a stand in the box and is designed to be used with their gallery stand sold separately, or a VESA wall mount/stand. The cheaper C2 should be considered instead of the G2 if you are not going to wall mount.

You can also fit any VESA stand to any TV, so even if the feet aren't suitable, you can always buy your own stand to fit the TV.

Both TVs you are considering are very good, as is the cheaper C2. You can't go wrong with either. I would wait to buy at the upcoming sales and get whichever is the better deal, right now TV prices are high and neither is worth buying.

Thanks for the reply. The specifications list response time as LG 1ms and Samsung as 6.5ms. I’m familiar with these as I’ve often looked at PC monitors and for gaming you really want as low as possible.

You mention VESA stands, is that a particular brand or just a stand TV stand of which there are many?

Thanks for mentioning the C2 I hadn’t looked at that. I can’t see a big difference between that and the G2.

The specifications are embellished as they usually are, much the same with monitors actually. Best instead check out reviews to compare, such as those on rtings.com to compare in like for like tests. Since both TVs are using OLED tech response times on both will be very good and neither will have a lot of motion blur.

Response time equates to motion blur, input lag is something else.

One manufacturer may measure its response time one way, and another a different way. Not to mention specs are also sometimes just completely wrong with manufacturers mixing up input lag and response time in their listings also.

VESA stands are the same as with computer monitors and screw to the back of TVs. These holes are used mainly for wall mounting but you can buy stands and furniture with them integrated too.

Vesa stands are not one size fits all though. 400 X 300 vesa size may fit one TV but not another - so you need to know the TV Vesa size. Can be anything from 100 x 100 to 400 x 400. Some mounts will cover all options in between but some will be limited.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom