help on speakers for leema pulse amp

moodycow

Novice Member
Hi i need some advice. I have a denon 1909 av amp and quad lites home cinema speakers. My bofriend has just told me he has bought me a leema pulse amp and leema stream 111 cd player. I am worried as he has bought them without me even listening to them, plus i havnt got any speakers to go with the leemas and he stupiedly thought i would but the quad lites to them. He looked unimpressed when i mentioned more speakers and moaned that we already have 6 speakers in frount room and no room for any more, but i have a space either side of fire place about 23cm but they would have to be close to wall. so i need slim tall speakers that would go well with the leemas and hope he wont notice :D

peritus

Banned
Rega RS3's would work very well indeed as would the Monitor Audio BX5's

The Leema set-up is very good though so you dont want to get speakers that wont do the system justice!

An idea of budget and also what music you generally listen to would be handy :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
My boyfriend has just told me he has bought me a Leema Pulse amp and Leema Stream III cd player...
he stupiedly thought...
Moody by name... ;)

The Pulse really needs a better speaker than the BX5 to shine.

Leema's own Xero & Xone speakers are small but I haven't heard them.

Do you know which version of the Pulse amp? The Mk III has a fixed gain AV input so going forward, you could upgrade the AV amp to one with pre-outs & use the Pulse for front duties which would reduce the speaker count. Don't know if the original Pulse has this feature (there is no Mk II).

Or if the Quads are up to it, you could use a speaker switch like Beresford's 7220 to share them between amps for now but I suspect they'll be bass light.

Edit
Looks like the original Pulse also has the fixed AV mode.

Last edited:

peritus

Banned
Don't agree re the BX5 comment at all; for their cost they're superb speakers and IMO outclass speakers in their range and some above as well

All dependent upon what soundstage the OP is after and what music they listen to the BX5's could work very well indeed

The Rega RS3's are brilliant but can lack in all out oomph at times; next step up would be Neat Motive 2's or PMC GB1i's

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Don't agree re the BX5 comment at all; for their cost they're superb speakers and IMO outclass speakers in their range and some above as well
You are of course entitled to your opinion but it also conflicts with MA's Technical Services Manager:

As good as the BX5’s are, that amp (Leema Pulse III) might reveal some slight short comings in the speakers

Partnering a RRP £500 speaker with a RRP £1500 amp doesn't make much sense IMO (or MA's).

peritus

Banned
You are of course entitled to your opinion but it also conflicts with MA's Technical Services Manager:

Partnering a RRP £500 speaker with a RRP £1500 amp doesn't make much sense IMO (or MA's).

In no way did I say that they would be perfect; I stated that I think they'd work well dependent upon what soundstage the OP requires and what music they generally listen to

I agree that partnering £500 speakers with a £1500 amp will have its shortfalls but all systems do at some point; but if the OP needs small narrow floorstanders without spending £1500 for the likes of the PMC's etc then the M/A BX's may be a good choice!

Come down off your high horse and provide some help; not smart arsed comments

moodycow

Novice Member
Thank you for your replies. Ive only just now had time to read them as i have been busy over christmas. I like all kinds of music but mostly 80S, punk, jam,prodigy etc.. I listened to the pulse using my quad lites and it sounded thin but i hope, with better speakers it will sound better!!!! I tried to smile and not grit my teeth in frount of my boyfriend cos he'd be gutted. A £40 bush stereo would sound good to him :) I dont think it helps that i have a solid oak floor so im going to buy a huge rug to help. Im hoping for a demo of some totom arros and pmc gb1is do you think they will match the leemas?

sebbyp

Novice Member
The gb1is will be a good match :)

They also fit your size criteria and in the right colour wont look over bearing!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom