Help on socket 775 CPU choice

katgra

Novice Member
Hi Guy's

Looks like my E6600 has died on me, so I need another CPU I cant make up my mind what would you go for?

E8400
Q6700
Q9550

Are what I'm looking at right now, or do you know better.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
First make sure that your motherboard supports any of those CPU types.

Obviously the Q9550 is the best, I guess you're asking whether it's worth the money. That depends on what you're doing, the E8400 would be just as good if need performance for non-multithreaded programs.

katgra

Novice Member
First make sure that your motherboard supports any of those CPU types.

Obviously the Q9550 is the best, I guess you're asking whether it's worth the money. That depends on what you're doing, the E8400 would be just as good if need performance for non-multithreaded programs.
Thanks Endlesswaves, my motherboard supports all the CPU's but I am just deliberating whether the Q9550 is worth the extra £65, i would like to go to a quad just to future proof & I did find my E6600 lacking when doing several things at once. I was just reading some reviews on the Q9550 and have concern's about temp's although I will be using a Freezer7 Pro on it so I suppose I would like to see how other owners have got on with the temps etc.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Well the Q9550 is cooler than the Q6700 so if you want a low temperature CPU your cheap option should be the Q8200. I have no problems with my Q6600 which is likely to be hotter than a Q9550.

Razor

I had a Q9450 and a Q6700 and they both run at the same temp give or take a few degrees. I ended up selling my Q9450 as the difference was so small it wasnt worth spending at the time £250. I bought the Q9450 to put in my water cooled setup which was sharing a loop with my chipset and graphics card. I was hoping to see allot better temps but it never happened.

I would go for the Q6700 and use the spare money to buy a TRUE cooler.

booyaka

how has your Q6600 died?

I've never seen or heard of a cpu "breaking" or "dieing" on anyone. More than likely a failure of another part (motherboard, ram, psu etc)

Worth testing and save yourself spending another £150 upwards on a cpu

katgra

Novice Member
how has your Q6600 died?

I've never seen or heard of a cpu "breaking" or "dieing" on anyone. More than likely a failure of another part (motherboard, ram, psu etc)

Hi Booyaka

You were right mate it seems its my OCZ Reaper memory will no longer run @ 1066 it will only run @ 800 so I will have to RMA that.

My E6600 is absolutly fine after turning down the speed of ram.

MattShine

Standard Member
I have an E8400. Great CPU for the money really. Have OC'ed mine a little (3.2Ghz as I don't have decent cooling). Does pretty much everything I throw ay it at decent speed (I do a fair bit of video transcoding etc).

namuk

Distinguished Member
how has your Q6600 died?

I had an FX60 that just would not overclock, well it did :).. but at end the Cpu would only run at stock speed , stable .. thats a bit poo for a unlocked Multypiler and dam dear too :thumbsdow

Geege

If you do use lots of multi-threaded applications, video encoding etc then get a Q9550 quad core. If you mainly game, then get a dual core E8400 and over clock it. by the time most games benefit from multi-core CPU then you can upgrade your computer to a socket core i7 system

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom