1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help on setup ! Pioneer plasma PDP-435XDE with Pana DMRE500H

Discussion in 'TVs' started by superflyguy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. superflyguy

superflyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I hope someone can restore my faith in plasma TV's and high end DVD recorders. I have a Pioneer PDP-435XDE tied up to a DVD Pana DMRE500H. I have read on the net that these are 2 quite high end bits of kit. But maybe I'm missing something? Can someone tell me the optimum setup/settings to get the best possible picture while watching DVD/TV? I've got the best part of 4 grands worth of kit but the quality compared against a high end CRT isnt justifiyable. When watching DVD's most movies output @ 625i, which is nice, but not 4 grands worth of nice. Is my DVD player capable of outputting @ 1080i or HDMI?

Many thanks
    Phil..

2. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think your getting the technology a bit confused. HDMI is a type of connection and the DMRE500H doesn't have one. This is unfortunate as HDMI input on the 435XDE is the best way to connect to the screen. My suggestion would be to use the component output from the DVD Recorder to the 435XDE connection box. As far as 1080i (high definition) is concerned then none of the DVD players available today will output this format. 1080i is part of the future technology (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) that should be available next year. The good news is that the screen you have is compatible with these formats once they arrive.

Providing you have the right quality/strength of signal from your TV aerial then picture quality on the freeview digital channels should be good to excellent.

3. superflyguy

superflyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Mattboy!
    I had always assumed scart was better than component. So just to cap it off. Even though I have movies via dvd outputting @ 625i RGB on scart, component will be better?

Thx for clearing up the HDMI and also that my display is futurproof to a degree.

Phil.

4. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yep component is better than scart mate. There is dvd player that will scale to 1080i out there i have one, but it upscales to hd res. Its nowhere near as good as native hd sources.

5. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, I forgot to mention that some DVD players will upscale the picture to 1080 but as the original source doesn't have 1080 lines then clearly it won't be in true high definition format. Look out for the introduction of HD DVD players, HD DVDs and Sky's High Definition service next year and then your 435XDE will be like looking through a window !.

If you have a high spec PC (3GHz +) then you can download sample WMV-HD files from the Microsoft Website and link the PC through the VGA connection on the front of the 435XDE connection box. This will show you what High Definition pictures will be like when the arrive next year.

6. superflyguy

superflyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for all the feedback. I'll be changing all the scart connection to component for sure. And I currently have my pc pipped through my plasma so when I get adsl (just moved house) I'll download those HD movies.

Just one more question: Do you reccomend changing any settings in the menu for the plasma, like mpeg noise reduction, you know all those advanced options type jobbies that I've messed with before but not REALLY noticed much of a differance?

Again thx.
    Phil.

7. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can't remember my specific settings but generally its best to switch all of the picture enhancers off, contrast to about +35, Sharpness -1/-2 and the rest just tweak to suit your own tastes. There are other threads with specific recommendations - do a search for '435XDE settings' under the plasma TV section.

8. superflyguy

superflyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mattboy you're a star. Thx very much.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    superflyguy

Don't be fooled into thinking bigger numbers = better image quality.

Using a DVD Recorder as a DVD Player is (I find) not generally as good as using a stand alone DVD player.

RGB and YUV are both 'Component' signals and whilst Players with a Progressive YUV output can have the edge over an Interlaced RGB Player its not so cut and dried to assume you must ditch all your SCART (RGB) cables.

I'd suggest you Test a decent SCART cable plus a Decent YUV cable set between your DVD and your PlasmaTV before you assume which is best.

Setting up your system involves adjusting the DVD and the PlasmaTV - as others have suggested switch all the 'enhancement' features OFF on both the DVD and the TV.

Its also worth investing in a set up Disc (see the Power Buy section for AVIA or DVE) as a good starting point to try and achieve a decent image - another option being to pay to have an ISF technician pay you a visit and professionally 'calibrate' your TV; this costs £250.00.

Best regards

Joe