help on setting up WiFi @ home on nokia n95

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Elisesdad, May 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Elisesdad

Elisesdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)
    Im new to this forum thingy and find alot you guys talk about is very intersesting but I have a prob of my own. Im trying to set up my n95 to use my wireless network at home and have tried reading all the stuff about my router and the phone but every time I try setting it up it says the internet is not there or (most of the time) the phone sort of crashes and resets. Im going crazy, can anyone help me please? Im I missing something blindingly obvious, probably!! Many thanx in advance:thumbsup:

2. Kazza72

Kazza72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I needed tp press the pairing button on my router (an Orange livebox) the first time I connected, followed by entering the WEP key on my phone. This was only the first time and it has worked great since. Sorry can't think of any other reason other than a firewall issue?

3. Elisesdad

Elisesdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for that but I dont have a pairing button or the like on my belkin54g router. I took the phone back to t-mobile today and they kindly changed it but the new one is doing the same thing, as soon as it tries to connect to my network it just crashes and eventusally ends up but back at my desktop, its soooo annoying :mad:
    a copule of times it just flashes an info warning : unable to connect. Im not a novice at these things but neither am I very gifted LOL but I think it is firewall problem although I tried disabling the routers firewall and it did nothing.
    If anyone is reading this I'd be exstatic if anyone could help. Its a great phone but not being able to use the WLAN feature is very annoying.
    Thanx in advance

4. Elisesdad

Elisesdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ANYONE? :lease:

5. Elisesdad

Elisesdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. The Wiep

The Wiep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my N95 up and running on my wifi network (SSID hidden, WPA-PSK and MAC filtering)
    I just created a connection in Settings - Connections - Acces Points

also check the config of your router to see if MAC filtering is enabled, if it is you need to enter the MAC adres of your phone which can be found on the box

hope this helps you out...

7. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    Unfortunately, it appears that the N95 doesn't DHCP with certain (read: most) wireless routers. I'm hoping this will be fixed with the lastest V11 firmware. However, you can manually set the phone up to pair to your router.

In you home laptop or PC, via the cmd. prompt, enter ipconfig/all. This will bring up info such as your PC's IP address, subnet mask and default gateway address.
    Now, set up an access point, as normal. Then, via the 'Access Points' option in the settings menu on the phone, select you required access point and click the options button. Select 'Advanced Settings' and then 'IPv4 settings'. Now, using your PC's IP address, change this by a few digits e.g. 192.168.40.10 to 192.168.40.14, and use this for the phones IP adress. Set up the other settings as per the info you got from the PC.

Bob's your uncle, you should now be able to connect :smashin:

I won't take credit for this as, the info was gathered from another source but, it's basic network set up and so should work with your set up very well. It certainly did with mine !

8. richdgrant

richdgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The problem I have is as follows:

I can connect to my router. I can browse for a few minutes and then it just begins to hang.... I click on a link and nothing happens. Any ideas what could be wrong here?

9. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem:(

10. richdgrant

richdgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hey. i've just found out what to do. try this:

go to menu --> tools --> settings --> connection --> wireless LAN --> then press 'options', select 'advanced settings' then disable "automatic configuration", then scroll down to 'power saving' and disable it. I did this and now it's perfect :)

try it out and let me know if it has worked for you too. :thumbsup:

11. Elisesdad

Elisesdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the help peeps but it seems Im doomed :rolleyes:

I cant even use "ipconfig" :mad:
    when I type it in and hit OK the window appears for a flash then disappears!
    I tried setting it up manually as suggested with the details from the router as I cant use "ipconfig?" and................ the router firmware is up to date.
    Ive followed the Nokia website "dummies" demo.
    I changed the prod code, updated the firmware and the phone actually seems to work better, more responsive and installs anything I want (unlike when it was t-mobiled!!) but still cant connect to the network!
    So aye thinks me is gonna buys maself ae nyce nokia 8250 again(loved that phone!)
    thanx for the advice again

:suicide:

12. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ok, i know this is an old one, but after reading the replies here, i've fiddled and i fixed mine. finally !!!

i'm with t-mobile if that makes any difference.

i'm assuming you've set up your access point already, and your router already

goto tools / settings / connection / access points

pick your predefined AP

change Network Status from Public to Hidden

job done !!!!