help on setting up speakers using thx ex demo disc..

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have set up my speakers using my amps test tones, i remembered i had a thx ex demo disc with a setup option.

I'm a little confused as the screen shows the test tone for the LFE channel is from 30hz to 80hz pink noise. also on the screen is -30dbfs, and when setting the other speakers it says -20dbfs.

Anyone tell me what the -20 and -30 dbfs is supposed to be ?

Thanks

Hi Jonny

In this case the -30 refers to the fact the signal is recorded 30db below reference. The other channels are recorded at -20 (20db below reference). Using a sound meter, balance both these signals to 85db on the meter.

Reference Level is 105db for the main channels & 115db for the LFE channel.

Thanks Jase, is it worth me re-setting the levels using this thx dvd ? i have already set the levels using the amps test tones.

Thanks

In theory, using a test dvd brings the dvd player into the loop so you should get the levels absolutely bang on. It does depend on what amp etc you´re using though. My setup is exactly the same using the test tones & the AVIA setup disc but the old chaps system gives different readings so we´ve stuck with AVIA settings.

Up to you really, give it a go and see what results you get.:)

Just checked the settings, the amps test tones are the same as the ones on the disc as my levels were all correct.

Thanks for the advice

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom