1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help On Screen Purchasing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bjamez05, Jul 28, 2004.

1. bjamez05

bjamez05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,
    i am need help on searching for a affordable but reliable screen. i would like a wall fixed screen! i will be using this for dvds, cable, and video games. plz help me on what i should get! :lease:

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Fixed screens are quite expensive i.e when i was looking for one it was £600 + :eek:

You can buy screen material or use screen goo if you do not mind a spot of diy, will set you back about £100.

I have also just noticed that hifibitz are now supplying beamax fixed screens that are quite reasonably priced for a fixed screen imo.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Using Inzamans good suggestion, you can make a screen that will compare very well with a standard matt white screen using curtain blackout cloth - the material is approx 54ins tall and comes off the roll at around £5 per linear meter (or yard, I forget).

I made a 16:9 screen with it using some wood from B&Q, some screws, glue and staples, and the whole thing cost me under £28. You can even upgrade it later with proper screen material and stretch it over the existing screen and frame, or paint it with Goo as Inzaman suggested if you like.

There are some pics on my web site if you want to see how simple it is. The tricky bit is stretching the cloth, and I had my girlfriend help me with good success. :)

Gary.

4. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And your website is??? If it's th one on your sig then I can't see it because I keep getting a forbidden message.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    A week after I posted the message, I changed ISPs, so the page is now located at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.lightfoot/myht.html

It's a bit slow as it's their old hosting site, so I'll probably move it all on again at a later date.

Gary.

6. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't load using Mozilla but it's fine with IE. Shame that I much prefer Firefox.

7. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks remarkably similer to my last cinema room
    [​IMG]

I had to change it though. It got really hot at the top of the house in the summer. I did consider air contitioning but the noise put me off.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Blimey yeah - almost seperated at birth!

I didn't remove my purlin supports though. They don't notice when a movie is playing fortunately, but had I known what my loft was going to be used for when I first put the floor down, I would have had them removed properly with the necessary strengthening to the floor etc for it.

Like yours did, mine gets a tad warm in Summer too, and I wish I'd used the reflective foil backed plasterboard for the south facing roof. I usual open the window and air the place before a movie runs, then use a pedastal type fan if we need it. Another member bought a proper air con unit for £149, and runs that before a movie to bring the temp down, then switches it off during watching. Seems to work well, so I think I'll do the same.

I take it you have proper room now for your cinema?

Cheers.

Gary.

9. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't have purling supports to remove :p

I don't have a home cinema ATM. I sold my projector last year and I'm building up funds in readiness to do a large (21X35ft) room. I'm sure I'll be posting pictures when I get started.
    :cool:

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Look forward to seeing them. :)

Gary.