Help on Samsung Wizard SSD Drive

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I think i need some help please on what to do & how to use the Samsung Wizard as I am total confused. Below are s couple of photos of the wizard screen where do i go from here ? Just one thing I did notice on one of the photos it says I have not have SATA 6 but i do have SATA 3 but i do have the white GSATA ( SATA 6Gb/s which I was told not to have my SSD drive connected to but connected to the SATA blue connectors sorry to sound so confused but i am!

Last edited:
Do nothing that samsung wizard is not be messed with, the default windows settings are the optimal settings.

Yes the (blue) Intel SATA controller is SATA 3Gbps, the Marvell GSATA (white) is SATA 6Gbps. You would have to re-install Windows on the white ports in order to make use of that but while there is a performance boost you may simply not notice it if everything moves along at a quick enough pace already. Plus your SSD drive would have to support SATA 6Gbps.

So I do not touch any of these screens then next010

Attachments

• IMG_2868 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2868 (640x480).jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2870 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2870 (640x480).jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2871 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2871 (640x480).jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 44
Sorry to bother again about harping on about this Samsung Wizard thing but some are saying on these forums that the wizard will get the SSD running at its best below I have taken screen shots of the Samsung Wizard from each of the sections on the disc do i leave the first 2 alone or what and on the last screen shot do i use the max performance button to get the best out of my SSD The other thing is I have a desk top icon of the computer and every time I switch on the computer it pops up asking do i whant to update it which I have already done can i get it to stop doing this Please. Also next010 I do not dispute what you are saying about the disc far from it. But like I have said many times before this is all new to me and I want to get the best I can out of my PC ( I have already ballsed with my graphic card by getting the wrong one) So if you and others say leave it alone and put it in a case and put it a dark place i will . I think someone on here mentioned "Trim on windows 7 sorts it out so i presume that screen shot can been taken out what about the other two? also what is Intel rapid Storage Technology (RST) as i have Intel CPU also how do do I have to turn off defrag,indexing,superfetch prefech etc if so how do i go about this or do i leave them in as i have a other hard drive which is a 1 TB sorry about the long post

Attachments

• IMG_2872 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2872 (640x480).jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2873 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2873 (640x480).jpg
    194 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2874 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2874 (640x480).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 49
I have just found this to one of my q a few weeks ago that Mark E19 said which is as follows
"I've got the older Samsung 830 SSD and I did install the Samsung SSD Magician software as it does have some handy tools on it for setting everything up correctly such as 'Performance Optimisation' and 'OS Optimisation'. Run these once the system is setup the way you want it and then leave it alone - I've not used the software since I first installed it and ran the optimisation. Windows may be set to defragment the SSD and this is not a good idea, so the OS Optimisation will disable this for you, along with other settings suggested for SSD users." What I wish to find out on the "OS Optimization do I go for Max performance,or Max Capacity or Max reliability or do i "Apply all"

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
At first I thought the Sammy presets may be helpful too but after looking into them the default windows settings are the optimized settings, don't touch any of the samsung presets they don't help unless you have an extreme usage case, the optimal preset on the samsung is pretty much the same setting as windows default.

Trim is built into Windows 7, it does not require your attention.

If defrag really hurt SSD's MS would have auto disabled it upon detecting an SSD drive and it has the capability to check for that. Some get over paranoid thinking defrag will shorten the life span of the SSD drive but in all likelihood that SSD will get replaced by the time that ever becomes a problem. The Sammy software will monitor the health of the drive and tell you when it's time to replace it which will be at minimum a few years away from now.

Uninstall Samsung Magician software is the easy solution, manually download latest version & install it.

Intel RST is best left alone, it's a form of RAID.

Last edited:
Thanks next010 done what you said & removed the old magician but why download the latest version if like you say there is point in using it

You can have it to check the health of the drive if thats something that concerns you I guess, the diagnostics and firmware update are really all it's good for.

Uninstall and re-install should also hopefully clear that update bug the app keeps pestering you with but if it doesn't just kill it from loading at startup.

Thanks once again next10

Well I think I have done what you said is this OK

Attachments

• IMG_2877 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2877 (640x480).jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 42
Looked at this on disk manager Does all look well

Attachments

• IMG_2878 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2878 (640x480).jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 38
Yeah that disk manager is fine.

When I start up the computer from cold i still get this

Attachments

• IMG_2881 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2881 (640x480).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 43
Control Panel > Action Center > Change User Account Control settings
From there you can amend the UAC prompts you get. The default is one down from Always notify and is where mine is set.
I don't get any UAC prompts when my PC starts but Samsung SSD Magician software is not set to auto run on startup - but when I start it I do then get the UAC prompt. If you look at the icon on my desktop it has the UAC symbol on it which does indicate that you need to authorise it to run.
upload_2014-5-11_17-25-52.png

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom