Help on replacement Bose Driver ?

kevshed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Bose Freespace 51 outdoor speakers - one of which has a failed driver.

I've spent hours trying to establish what driver it uses in order to get a replacement, but have so far not been able to make any progress. (bose weren't helpful)

As an experiment, i've found a 802 driver replacement on ebay, so i've ordered one to try as it appears to be the same size etc (I appreciate this wont be weather proof).

It's yet to arrive, but as i've continued reading, i'm a concerned that the impedance is going to cause trouble, so i wanted to ask the experts here whether this driver will do the trick - OR - does anyone know which driver i need.

The reason for the impedance concern, is that the driver is rated at 1 Ohm... presumably as they are typically used in arrays. Spec here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131104358666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) . Do the electronics in the speaker add to the resistance ? (was surprised how much was there given its a single driver speaker).

Given the other speaker is i presume 4 Ohm - am i likely to damage the amp (Sonos connect 120) ?

Any suggestions appreciated, i'm just loathe to throw it away and replace when the other one is fine..

Last resort, i'll buy a new outdoor set.... any suggestions?

Thanks !
Kev

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Kev,

Can you not remove the failed driver from the cabinet which will no doubt have some markings on to indicate what the model of the driver is.

It may then be worth contacting bose with this exact info and they maybe able to supply a replacement if not then at least you'll know what to look for on eBay. As you say it'd be ashame to bin 'decent' speakers.

I have already removed it with that objective, but there are no markings at all - all the labels have faded/corroded which is why I'm flying blind.

I did attempt a repair as I could see the corroded ribbon wire, but I managed to destroy the cone and voice coil in the process hahahah

I also called Bose - weren't helpful at all, but I'll maybe try again after Easter if I have no luck with the driver I ordered.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom