• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help on PS3 slim please, HD DVD convert ahoy

Cybermanc

Standard Member
Hi guys and gals,

After going HD DVD the other year (yeah I know lol), I am now getting a PS3 free with my new mobile phone contract, it will be the 120GB Slim model.

I am not a gamer (although I will get the odd title) I am mainly looking gor entry into Blu Ray before I inevitably buy a standalone player.

My questions are these............ will it be ready 'out of the box' or am I perpetually going to be updating from web sites like I had to with my HD Toshiba player?
Is there an update I should avoid (one that seems to chew peoples system up).

Also, my puter is upstairs and the PS3 will be downstairs, am I able to burn a disc for updates or do I have to find some way to connect my PS3 to my player?

Sorry for all the ??????'s but I'm so noob at this console lark and am a bit of a techy-doofus:suicide:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Hi guys and gals,

After going HD DVD the other year (yeah I know lol), I am now getting a PS3 free with my new mobile phone contract, it will be the 120GB Slim model.

I am not a gamer (although I will get the odd title) I am mainly looking gor entry into Blu Ray before I inevitably buy a standalone player.

My questions are these............ will it be ready 'out of the box' or am I perpetually going to be updating from web sites like I had to with my HD Toshiba player?
Is there an update I should avoid (one that seems to chew peoples system up).

Also, my puter is upstairs and the PS3 will be downstairs, am I able to burn a disc for updates or do I have to find some way to connect my PS3 to my player?

Sorry for all the ??????'s but I'm so noob at this console lark and am a bit of a techy-doofus:suicide:

Updates come down directly from web. just connect it to internet with ethernet or wi-fi. Can also download from Playstation website and save onto a usb stick

Cybermanc

Standard Member
Thanks for that :smashin:

As I'm upstairs on my Virgin 20Mb Broadband to this puter via ethernet, how much is it going to set me back for a half decent bit of kit to go wireless? I take it I'll need a router plus 2 wireless adaptors (one for PC and one for PS3 at the least yes?)
I'm prepared to go overboard on specification on a router that will exceed my current type of usage to help future proof myself. No doubt I'll look to stream HD films etc if possible at some stage.

Last edited:

Retro Techno

Established Member
The PS3 is WiFi capable out of the box, so you won't need a wireless adapter for that. If the Virgin box doesn't do wireless then you will need to buy a wireless broadband router.
I use a Netgear model from a couple of years back. The new model should be just as good, if not better RangeMax™ Dual Band Wireless-N Router.
This has both a wired and wireless connection so you won't need to buy an adapter for your pc.
My model, the old WNR834B-100 costs about £75.00 nowadays, so expect a newer Netgear to be more expensive.
Of course there other brands, like Linksy's and lord knows who else. BT even market their own.

Last edited:

Cybermanc

Standard Member
The PS3 is WiFi capable out of the box, so you won't need a wireless adapter for that. If the Virgin box doesn't do wireless then you will need to buy a wireless broadband router.
I use a Netgear model from a couple of years back. The new model should be just as good, if not better RangeMax™ Dual Band Wireless-N Router.
This has both a wired and wireless connection so you won't need to buy an adapter for your pc.
My model, the old WNR834B-100 costs about £75.00 nowadays, so expect a newer Netgear to be more expensive.
Of course there other brands, like Linksy's and lord knows who else. BT even market their own.

Thanks Fruitfly, thanks for the headsup on PS3 being wifi from the box!

My current Virgin modem isn't wireless so I deffo need the wireless broadband router, thank you for the link to the one you are using.

Confused1

Standard Member
Wow - I didn't know the PS3 was wifi out of the box. Can you tell me how to enable it? I have a BT home hub.

Once wifi is enabled (and connected) will it auto update from Playstation website? Also, on blu rays, will I be able to access the advanced features such as internet searching actor/location/script etc whilst watching the film?

And if I'm allowed one more question... Does the ps3 upscale DVDs?

Being cheeky now I know... but the PS3 slim 120GB Hard Drive... any way to use that to record tv?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Wow - I didn't know the PS3 was wifi out of the box. Can you tell me how to enable it? I have a BT home hub.

It's enabled already. Just go to Network settings on PS3 menu (XMB) and choose auto setup. It will scan for your wi-fi network and just need you to enter the security key for your homehub

Once wifi is enabled (and connected) will it auto update from Playstation website?

When a new update is available it will prompt you to download and install when you switch it on

Also, on blu rays, will I be able to access the advanced features such as internet searching actor/location/script etc whilst watching the film?

all BD-Live (Profile 2.0) content will work on the PS3

And if I'm allowed one more question... Does the ps3 upscale DVDs?

Yes and very well. sometimes a little noisily due to no upscaling chipset and it's all done by the PS3 CPU.

Being cheeky now I know... but the PS3 slim 120GB Hard Drive... any way to use that to record tv?

Yes you need an addon device called PlayTV. Connects to your PS3 via USB then just connect your Digital TV aerial to it.

Answer above...

PS3 can do a lot more with media playback. Streaming, Transcoding etc... have a look here for more info
PS3 Media & Streaming - AVForums.com

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom