Help on multi room music in existing install

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by slowpoke, Jul 1, 2015.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    HI

I have just moved into a new property. I have ceiling speakers that were left in the house.

Formal room - 3 back speakers
    Kitchen - two speakers
    Main bedroom - two speakers
    Garden - two speakers (not ceiling)

The guy had a 3 zone amp with one switcher to power all the speakers which are all wired to the same spot in the formal room.

I want some sort of Sonos or the like system put in.

What would be the solution so I can have multiroom and switch between rooms if necessary.

Also for the formal room I plan to use some existing front speakers and subwoofer to have 5.1 for my TV.

Rob

2. gylonso

gylonso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Will need to know a bit more about what you actually want to be able to do. You mention Sonos like system, so are you wanting the full flexibility of Sonos? That is to be able to remotely control what is played in any zone(room)? Ability to play different music in each zone at the same time?

As far as I understand it, if you want the full Sonos flexibility with each room, and 5.1 for the main room using the 3 back speakers (although if you have 3 back speakers, then this will be a 6.1 setup), then you will need an av receiver plus the 3 front speakers and sub for the main room. If you want that as a separate zone of the Sonos network, then you would need a Sonos connect. Then you would need a Sonos connect:amp for each of the Kitchen, main bedroom and garden.

If you are not wanting full flexibility, then you could probably use speakers switches and have less Sonos connect:amps, but you then couldn't have music in all the rooms at the same time, and less options for different music in each zone as well. And unless you wanted to go and manually select which room the connect:amp is powering, you would also need to buy a speaker switch that you could also remotely control (if they are available) as well.

So firstly you need to decide how you actually want to use all the speakers in real everyday life.

3. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks

Yes I want the flexibility of all the zones. After I posted this thread I did do some further research on the site and essentially it told me the same thing. I would need Sonos Connect Amps for each of the zones! Not sure I could justify it to be honest so maybe I will stick with just a couple of zones for now.

4. gylonso

gylonso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well how many times in a year will you be wanting to use the garden speakers anyway? A speaker switch, which probably wouldn't be that expensive, would allow the you to combine those with the bedroom for example. So one less connect:amp needed already. Having to use a switch for occasional use would probably not be much of an issue.

And maybe your av receiver has a second zone? As everything terminates in your formal room, you could try to incorporate that somehow. If you had a Sonos connect, which is cheaper than the connect:amp, then depending on your AV receiver capabilities, someone could be watching a movie in the main room, and then someone else could be using the Sonos connect on the second zone in another room?

5. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    really appreciate the advice. So talked to the guy I bought the house off last night and he has his pioneer amp which he is not using and would be happy to sell it to me. It has 3 zones in it and I would be able to use it for the existing speakers and the 5.1 (yes sorry 2 back speakers not 3). There is also a speaker switch there which he left.

Also agreed on outside speakers.

So what would you recommend now?

6. gylonso

gylonso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well you would have to find out exactly what pioneer amp it is. Is it an AVR with 3 zones? How old is it? Do you already have your front 3 speakers for the 5.1? And if so, will they match well with a Pioneer amp? Also up until recently most av receivers won't output digital sources into their additional zones (only the main zone). And even currently I believe you still have to be careful and check this.

You may be able to control the pioneer using an app on a tablet or smart phone, so be able to choose which source is playing in which zone. But I would expect it won't be as easy as the Sonos app. You could still get a Sonos connect to link to the Pioneer and then you have something really easy to use. I expect could have the Pioneer playing this in more than one room at a time, but it will be the same music for all zones. The Sonos connect has digital and analogue outputs, so that would be okay if the Pioneer could only output analogue to the additional zones.

So you still need to work out what sources you will be using for the different zones, how much importance is ease of use, is the Pioneer what you want for the main zone 5.1? Just because the previous owner used it for all the speakers, doesn't definitely mean it will suit what you want to do. It might, but also it might not.

7. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, yes you are absolutely right.

What I have decide is to buy an AV Amp -I like Yamaha and am familiar with the set up

Will buy a couple of connect amps and can use a switcher, to create two zones. As you said I wont use outside very often. Will also buy a connect for that room as well to go into the amp.

8. gylonso

gylonso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Depending on what Yamaha AV amp you get, that could well have multiple zones. So you could see how that goes first before getting any additional Sonos connect:amps. You could still get the Sonos connect to link to the Yamaha. Use that for a while, it may work fine for you with just that, or give you the idea of where you need improvement in flexibility. You might not like the ceiling speaker sound in the kitchen or bedroom, then you might want to see if you like the sound of the different Sonos Plays. You can get 2 Play1s at the moment for £300 I think. They might sound better than the ceiling speakers, and cost less than the connect:amp as well. Still lots of options to choose from, but I would definitely make sure you like the sound from the ceiling speakers before you spend out money on powering them.

9. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    yeah thanks. Would be a shame not to be able to use the existing install though..