Help on moving Tapes and LP's to PC required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by josswallace, Feb 9, 2009.

1. josswallace

josswallace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am about to start looking at converting my old tapes and LP's to CD/DVD and my first query is on how to physically connect the devices to my PC. I am assuming its possible to av leads out of thr HI-FI and to the PC via the sound card, but I don't know what to connect. Should I connect the turntable and the tape deck independantly to the sound card or would it be better to th HI-FI prperly set up and connect the output from the amp to the pC

Any pointers on where I can get any information would be appreciated.

2. Torper

Torper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've recorded a lot of my vinyl onto CD. It was fairly simple, but time consuming.

I connected my turntable to my amp in the usual way, and then connected the amp to the line-in jack socket on my PC. I had to buy a special cable for that - two phonos for the amp, one jack for the PC - can't remember the precise details. I did try connecting the turntable directly to the PC, but if I missed out the amp, it didn't work.

The software I used was Goldwave. You can download a fully functional evaluation version from their website. It isn't particularly easy to use at first - I certainly found it was a steep learning curve. What was important was that once I'd got the hang of it it did the trick. It was also cheap - the only money I spent was on the cable and, of course, the blank CDs.

The time consuming bit follows the basic recording (which of course has to be done in real time) and involves getting rid of clicks and hisses from old vinyl, dividing your recordings into separate tracks, etc.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,096
    Connect to a so called 'line-level' output on the amplifier.

Do not connect direct to a turntable - That is not at line level and requires frequency equalisation- which the amplifier will perform.

A tape deck is less critical and probably does have a line level output... but if your amplifier has input selection it is probably easier to use the amp connection for both sources.

4. Torper

Torper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Curiously it made no difference whether the amplifier was switched on or off, but it had to be there.