Help on LCD Purchase

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by PaleRider1975, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. PaleRider1975

PaleRider1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi guys,
    I found this site a few days ago and have been lurking and reading up on LCD TV's & I'm in need of some help in spending my money! :D

I've got my selection down to 3 TV's they are;

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11229,40829,40617,23

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...ey=11229,4294959288,40829,22,40617,4294958910

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...=1&NavigationKey=11229,4294959288,40829,50246

I'll be using it mainly for DVD's and gaming and will be wanting to use use the HD capablities in the future. I've read some good things about the Samsung & the Acer & was hoping for some advice on which would be the best purchase?

Thanks in advance.

2. alan_t

alan_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    doubt you wll get a useful reply on this, all you will be told is to do a search. lol

though looking at them, the sammy is out of stock and not due in for another 3-4 weeks, so if you want one now, then thats not an option.
    the acer is quite good according to what i've read on here.
    and i'd imagine the LG to be pretty good also.

3. PaleRider1975

PaleRider1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the reply alan, I'm looking at purchasing at the end of November. One of the main reasons I'm asking for advice is that I'm in the military & based in Gibraltar at the moment & unfortunatley the selection of LCD TV's out here is not the most varied.

I was hoping someone who may have seen the above mentioned TV's in action would help me out as although I'm hoping to make my purchase at the end of November I won't actually be back in the UK til 21st December & I was hoping for a problem free Xmas playing with my new LCD TV.

4. Moyseal

Moyseal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping the Acer 3201W is as good as the glowing reports in both Computer Shopper and on the DABS site suggest.
    It appears to have just about everything going for it and if it is good as my Acer laptop I will have no complaints when the LCD arrives in the next two days.
    I'll let you know.
    If you want to read the reports, look on the DABS site www.dabs.com find the item and read the customers reports.

5. PaleRider1975

PaleRider1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That Acer has an audible fan, which some people have found irritating. Most 32" screens are fan-free. There's a thread where someone removed the existing fan and replaced with a larger, quieter one, but as you stated you wanted a problem-free Xmas I guess you wouldn't want to do that!

Judging from others rantings and ravings on here, I would have said that the Samsung would be the one to go for. Just a question of getting stock!

7. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you do a search for the acer you will find lots of info on it on these boards. I think the big problems it has are a loud fan and possible juddering on Pal material (might be juddering on NTSC).

8. PaleRider1975

PaleRider1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm leaning more towards the Samsung now. As I'm not planning on purchasing til the end of Novemeber hopefully Dabs will have a few more in stock. :smashin:

On a slightly different note, can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful dvd player with HDMI connection so I can make the most of the Samsungs HD capability?

9. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100