• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help on Laptop Decision

Pioneer257

Standard Member
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice / help on selecting a laptop. Any advice would be most grateful as im not sure what differences the specs are between the two.

I can already see other posts similar to mine but i could really do with the advice on the below.

I have narrowed it down to 2 which I think are best value for money and future proof. Budget really is max 400

The two laptops are.
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G580_1256836.html
Ivy bridge i5

And

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1331ea-15-6-laptop-silver-11884802-pdt.html
A8 Quad Core

Also thinking of going down the refurb route as the HP G6 I could purchase for around 340.

Any thoughts and any advice would be great

Many thanks for the help in advance.

SuperRams

maf1970

Prominent Member
What do you intend to use it for ?

Do you do any gaming ?

Pioneer257

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.

Honestly bit of gaming but mostly browsing, putting together my hd video which I've recorded, downloading and streaming.

But when I use the laptop I normally do about 3-4 things at the same time and at the moment i can't do that.

i like the sound of the a8 but alot of people say Intel (i5) is better and the way forward

Also just real value for money im paying

Thanks

LJx

Prominent Member
£400 for the i5 which is a new Ivy Bridge version is a decent enough deal, the other one doesn't strike me as being particularly good value though.
If you want to play games spend the extra £30 on this i5 and dedicated GT630M graphics Acer Aspire 5755G NX.RV3EK.002.

But that Lenovo is still decent and will have HD4000 integrated graphics so you can still do some gaming on it

Pioneer257

Standard Member
Thanks ljx.

good suggestion also but the Acer I believe is 2ng gen i5.

not sure if there is a big diff between the 2nd and 3rd gen processors. Sorry sounds cheeky but I just want to get the most out my money.

Gaming will be limited to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom